Sign in to follow this  

my tranny oil looks terrible

i have been noticing lately that my tranny oil in my crf450 looks really bad after just one ride. the nice red oil turns to pitch black in one ride. i have a z start but everything is working perfect. i also noticed some very small shinny metal pieces in the oil. so small you can barely see them. think my clutch plates are going?? like i said everything drives perfect. about a month of riding like this, i have been changing the oil more cause im worried. any help ????

Its hard to say,but I would be willing to guess that your clutch is starting to slip. Its easy to pull the clutch out, so I would start there. If you replace the clutch,also replace the springs. Also check the basket for grooves,when a basket grooves the plates hang up in the basket and will wear out premature...

funny i just changed my oil this weekend and was thinking the same thing. my bel-ray 80w also turns black. i change my oils every other ride. each day of riding consists of 5 40-minute motos. i used to change my cr250 oil once a month and it was still red. i'm not a "clutcher" so my tranny oil stays clean for a long time... it's strange to have the tranny oil coming out so dark.