Sign in to follow this  

a new 05 450f or a second bike???

what do you guys think, trade up my one year old 450 for a new one , which will probably cost 2 grand, or buy a really good 125 two stoke for two grand and use that as my practice bike and save the crf for races. im a vet racer and i have my own track so i can ride almost every day. the thing is i dont feel comfortable riding a four stroke after a year old because of the high costs of breakdowns. i stuck two grand into a two year old yz250f just to keep it running ,what a waste of money. got none of that back of course on trade in. so back to the delema, i love the crf but practicing on it every day to keep in shape and racing weekends , i doubt it will make it another year with out costly repairs, also i got a lot of money in upgrades on the crf that i wont get back in resale.

You are going to practice on a 125 two stoke and race a 450 four stroke? That would be tough for me....

If you're able to ride everyday and can really only afford one bike, I'd switch back to a 250 2 smoke (or buy a Service Honda CR500AF).

I hear you regarding rebuilds etc. I only have time to ride/race once a week if I'm lucky. Hence, my CRF 450R has less than 25 hours on it after almost a year (it was a long, cold winter!). As long as I get to the gym or mountainbike regularly, I can miss a couple weeks and still feel competitive on the bike. I couldn't do that w/my 250 2 strokes (too hyper). In your case, being able to ride daily, you should be in good enough shape to ride the 2 stroke hard enough to compensate come race day. Additionally, you can rebuild it at least 3 times before you hit the $ on one 4 stroke rebuild.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 4 stroke. But, from an economical standpoint the 2 stroke is cheaper in the long run.

My 2c.

I would buy a used CR250 since they last longer than a 125 and you can pick up one that is a few years old for around $2000. You are in great situation either way, I wish I had that dilemna...

I agree with PK. You can find a used 250 2 stroke for VERY close to the same price as a 125...

wish I had that problem too! If there is one thing I miss about 2 smokes... it's the 250's "flickability"

ditto on the 250 2 smoker, it would be the closest bike to your 450, less maintanence for a practice bike. By the way, I have a mint 1999 CR250 if interested?

I have come to the conclusion that the only time it is nice to have a 2nd (worthy) bike is for a guest to ride. I have tried owning two bikes (for me)three different times, and wound up not riding one of them at all. The only time this wasn't true is when one bike was down for MAJOR repair, which happened twice and only lasted one week each time.

jducati, what is the story on the cr250 , how much are you thinking? i live in wisconsin so im not far away, i am leaning to a 250 makes more sence. also as far as having a second bike when the first goes down i think that is very important, i race a points series and last time i had a two year old four stroke it was broke for over a month of our short five month racing season. i wont deal with that agian.