valves...$100 every 40 hours...bfd.

I just put new intake valves and springs in my crf250 after 37.2 hours of torture on mx tracks. One of the valve clearances was still at .005" but I figured I'd change both while the head was off. $100 every 40 or so hours is cheap to maintain what is possibly one of the most high tech engines available to the public. If I was still riding 125s I would have done a top end 3 times by now at about the same price as the valve job. Not to mention spending $6 a gallon on VP and still didn't have anywhere near the power I get with the crf on pump gas. The CRF is a bargain and very easy to work on. I love it.

I found the following in MXA, August issue, p.54.

I posted it once in another thread, but thought this might open your eyes.

Cheaper to Maintain

"Four stroke cost more to own. Don't get us wrong, they are cheaper on a race to race basis because they require very little in the way of maintanance. But they are ticking time bombs. All race engines have a finite life span. Two strokes and four strokes will wear out when their duty cycle is up. But there is a major difference; When a two stroke wears out, you throw in a new piston and get back into action for less then $250. Not so with a four stroke. If it blows up at the end of it's service cycle, which is approxamatly two years, it will ding your wallet to the tune of $1000 to $3000."

"open my eyes"! that's funny. Assuming we're talking CRF250 vs. 125cc. The article states the thumper will need motor work after two years or so...fine, no arguement here. They make it seem that the 2 stroke only needs one piston kit in the same amount of time, hmmm. How about 5-6 topends at $100 a pop, at least one bottom end, reeds, mixing oil, race fuel(I was burning about 10-12 gal/week @ $5.25/gal.), and so on. My eyes are open, I see the whole picture. The 2 stroke's maintainance is just spread out more over the same time period. Don't forget all of the aftermarket crap needed for your pinger to come even close to the stock thumper.

I await your replies...

Good point, 125 do need more attention, Although, I rode my 125 for 4 months(40 Hours!) on track and trai on one top end, and it cost me 100 bucks to replace it. If your caring for your CRF properly, the oil price works out about the same. High dollar mods are not needed for every 125 owner to go fast.

The article is refering to all thumpers and all 2 strokes. I am guesing they are basing their estamates on the averages. A 2 stroke 250 can go a year on 1 or 2 pistons racing at a local level. So can thumpers. The difference is, when something goes really wrong, the thumper costs a lot more to revive.

KH

I don't understand how people say it costs 1000 - 3000 dollars to rebuild a 4 stroke top end. Are you kidding me? How much does a 4 stroke piston cost? 140 bucks, I don't know how mucht the rings cost. My friend does the labor on my bike but how many hours would you have to pay for to have a service tech do it? Maybe 3 or 4 hrs, at 60 bucks an hour thats 240 bucks, plus another 250 for parts, so thats 500 bucks total, for a season, when I would have rebuilt my 125 at least 3 or 4 times in the same amount of time. Having a 4 stroke is alot cheaper for me, its so much easier to be able to get pump gas at 1.75/gal anywhere I want, instead of traveling to BFE to pay 9 bucks per gallon for ultimate 4. I just don't understand everyone saying 4 strokes are so expensive.

2005 CRF250R

White Bro. Carbon Fiber System

Dade City FL

I don't understand how people say it costs 1000 - 3000 dollars to rebuild a 4 stroke top end. Are you kidding me? How much does a 4 stroke piston cost? 140 bucks, I don't know how mucht the rings cost. My friend does the labor on my bike but how many hours would you have to pay for to have a service tech do it? Maybe 3 or 4 hrs, at 60 bucks an hour thats 240 bucks, plus another 250 for parts, so thats 500 bucks total, for a season, when I would have rebuilt my 125 at least 3 or 4 times in the same amount of time. Having a 4 stroke is alot cheaper for me, its so much easier to be able to get pump gas at 1.75/gal anywhere I want, instead of traveling to BFE to pay 9 bucks per gallon for ultimate 4. I just don't understand everyone saying 4 strokes are so expensive.

2005 CRF250R

White Bro. Carbon Fiber System

Dade City FL

If one of your valve decidesz to drop on your crf tit will destroy your head, cylinder, piston and more. I belive a head is around 400. If it seizes for some reason maybe due to lack of oil say good bye to cam, piston head, crank just to name a few. a four stroke top end including head valves cam, piston can easily cost up to a grand.

Having a 4 stroke is alot cheaper for me, its so much easier to be able to get pump gas at 1.75/gal anywhere I want, instead of traveling to BFE to pay 9 bucks per gallon for ultimate 4. I just don't understand everyone saying 4 strokes are so expensive.

I have always run pump gas in all of my bikes, 2 & 4 stroke, without any problems, FYI. The factories build them to run well on pump gas.

KH

I agree, that is a bike that could use race gas. I ran pump in my YZ125 without problems. Jetting plays a role in detonation as well and terrain like sand and deep loam.

I will admit that living at altitude, octain isn't as critical.

The point being, race gas isn't needed for most 2 stroke to run strong. Pump gas works fine.

KH

well i haven't had any problems with my bike CRF 250R, I keep up good maintenance, is that really enough?? i dunno but i love thumpers and i love mine.. if it goes i just hope its when my warranty isn't up.. besides MAYBE Honda will figure out what is causing this and recall it. emphasize on the maybe

XpReSS

well i haven't had any problems with my bike CRF 250R, I keep up good maintenance, is that really enough?? i dunno but i love thumpers and i love mine.. if it goes i just hope its when my warranty isn't up.. besides MAYBE Honda will figure out what is causing this and recall it. emphasize on the maybe

XpReSS

Warranty?? ?

Having a 4 stroke is alot cheaper for me, its so much easier to be able to get pump gas at 1.75/gal anywhere I want, instead of traveling to BFE to pay 9 bucks per gallon for ultimate 4. I just don't understand everyone saying 4 strokes are so expensive.

I have always run pump gas in all of my bikes, 2 & 4 stroke, without any problems, FYI. The factories build them to run well on pump gas.

KH

KH..........Vail, elevation, 8160 ft. is why you can get away with "Pump gas".

Here's the total for my top end and valve job

Parts

1. 2 intake valve $113.82

2. 2 ex. valve $ 65.60

3. 2 intake springs $ 8.44

4. 2 ex springs $ 10.04

5. 4 valve seals $ 20.60

6 4 spring seats $ 10.20

7. 4 retainers spring $ 21.68

8 1 piston $ 54.87

9 1 ring set $ 30.51

10. 1 base gasket $ 6.55

11. 1 wrist pin $ 16.56

12. 1 head gasket $ 14.91

13. 2 clips $ 2.08

14. 1 spark plug $ 14.00

15 total parts $389.86

16. labor $160.00 vavle job and resurface jug

totat parts and labor$549.86

All honda parts list price

labor was done by myself

Here's the total for my top end and valve job

Parts

1. 2 intake valve $113.82

2. 2 ex. valve $ 65.60

3. 2 intake springs $ 8.44

4. 2 ex springs $ 10.04

5. 4 valve seals $ 20.60

6 4 spring seats $ 10.20

7. 4 retainers spring $ 21.68

8 1 piston $ 54.87

9 1 ring set $ 30.51

10. 1 base gasket $ 6.55

11. 1 wrist pin $ 16.56

12. 1 head gasket $ 14.91

13. 2 clips $ 2.08

14. 1 spark plug $ 14.00

15 total parts $389.86

16. labor $160.00 vavle job and resurface jug

totat parts and labor$549.86

All honda parts list price

labor was done by myself

Thank you! that pretty much cuts through the BS in this thread! Thats a proper top end job on a 4 stroke and it is much more expensive than any two stroke! And thats also hoping you have the skills to do the labor yourself. Many can't, so add another $300 to the bill.