Sign in to follow this  

Delaware State Forest, PA

I saw this on a website here. Has anyone ever ridden these trails? If so, how were they?

Pohopoco Tract- Monroe County - 14 miles of summer trails. Access is from Route 115 five miles south of I-80.

Maple Run Tract- Pike County - 8 miles of summer trail. Access is from a parking area on Route 402 1-3/4 miles north of the village of Pecks Pond.

I went to the Pecks Pond location and was told by a state worker that the trails were for ATV riders only. :thumbsup:

From all of the call I've made it looks like all PA state forests are ATV only. I really cannot understand it. :thumbsup:

The explanation that I got from the park ranger was:

1) Only vehicles that hold tire pressures less than 5 pounds are aloud on the trails.

2) Something to the effect that 4 wheelers drive nice and slow through the trails and just put along peacefully and dirt bikes are loud and fast and tear up the trails causing erosion and scaring hikers.

I don't know if he was just making that up on the spot, but that's what I was told.

Pennsylvania state forests seem to take their laws and justification from the Pennsylvania state game commission (hunters).

If it has two wheels, it is not allowed on Game Commission land. (WHICH IS PUBLIC!) This includes BICYCLES.

Quads are allowed, as hunters use them to go into the woods.

They can't deny quads, becuase they would be denying the majority of the hunters in the state!

Bicycles are allowed ONLY if the person is a registered hunter, and it is hunting season.