Sign in to follow this  

I5 MX - Unsafe Track

First let me state that I5 MX has been one of my favorite tracks since the new management has taken over. They have improved track condition by adding tons of sand and what appears to be sawdust / wood chips into the soil improving track conditions considerably.

Also, I’m not one to complain unless I feel the complaint has some merit on correcting the issue. I hope this message lands on the correct desk and is listened too since many of folks I talked to that weekend agree with me.

Here is hoping the power of many (re: the TTer’s that ride I5 MX) has some weight on correcting what appears to be a track loosing its appeal.

This last weekend was an incredible disappointment in track conditions, management and safety.

Track Conditions: For some reason the track was watered to excess from the very beginning and each time the water trucks rolled it was exasperated. The track had so much water on it in places that deep mud bogs forced riders to ride off the posted track in search of soil that one could actually traverse.

I watched several riders attempt the mud areas and either get thrown off their bikes or bog down in an attempt to not crash. With mud comes ruts. The ruts were easily peg deep and unfortunately at the landing on most of the jumps (low spots where water tends to collect).

I talked to one of the track workers and he stated that he has never seen the track this bad and had no idea why it was watered to the point of ruining many riders experience.

Which brings me to management: Why was nobody there to supervise the track? Somebody should have been there to monitor the track conditions and take corrective actions (like drag the track to smooth out the deep ruts that hardened into sharp edge obstacles). Additionally there didn’t appear to be anybody controlling the track when the 80’s and smaller bikes were on. I witnessed several big bikes jump on the track during the 80 practice because nobody was there to stop them.

Safety: In the interest of wrapping up what is becoming a message too long for most people to read, the many events on the day all contributed to a track where safety took a back seat to profit.

While everybody understands that you assume the risk of injury while riding, it should also be recognized that a track must assume the liability for conducting a business that operates without conscience effort to provide as safe an environment as possible.

I sincerely hope the management at I5 MX recognizes the danger it has imposed on its clientele and works to correct them before litigation lawyers do.

If I had a problem with a business I would call them directly and give them a chance to remedy the situation before I complained publicly. Or would you prefer that the track be closed? If you are threatening litigation because of mud and ruts, that is motocross get used to it or ride BMX you could have gone home no one made you stay. It is the litigious type that got Indian Dunes closed.

If I had a problem with a business I would call them directly and give them a chance to remedy the situation before I complained publicly. Or would you prefer that the track be closed? If you are threatening litigation because of mud and ruts, that is motocross get used to it or ride BMX you could have gone home no one made you stay. It is the litigious type that got Indian Dunes closed.

For sure you should send this to track management and see if or how they respond. But I also feel it is totally fine to post these concerns openly on TT in order to raise the pressure for better management and safety standards at the track. My limited experience with MX tracks has been depressingly consistent. Usually a bunch of 16-18 year old dimwits running the show who are generally clueless about what is happening on the tracks. Of course MX is dangerous, but if this is compounded by poor safety standards and incompetent track management,then it is just a matter of time before the track will be forced to shut down.

SOmetimes there are some nasty ruts that form! My friend just broke his shoulder blade last week @ I5 while getting cross rutted before entering the left turn before the step up! With that being said, you have to adjust to the conditions of the track! I will not try to clear the 2nd large tabletop in the middle due to the fact that the landing is in a mud hole! I won't risk it, even though i've cleared it plenty of times in the past. Got to ride what the track permits! Maybe they have some new YAHOO watering the track, next time tell him what he's doing wrong so he won't do it next time.

I got cross rutted there a month ago and aggravated a previous cracked rib/ribs. I like the track better than I did but with the soil change come the ruts in the corners. The "blue groove" is gone. I can't speak to the water issue as I have only ridden there twice since last year when they changed ownership. There is no reason to end up with mud holes on a track that hasn't seen rain since February. I would mention it to the track managers so they are aware of it and can comment on it one way or the other. Looking forward to the 24th.

I spoke with a worker there and asked that he pass on my concerns to management. I am only trying to encourage more people to do the same so we don’t loose this track.