Sign in to follow this  

Idler Gear

FYI,

One KLX owner wanted to know the dimensions for a replacement bronze bearing. He was taking it to a machine shop for repair and needed the numbers. For the stock gear I used a bronze bearing from the bearing house measuring

1" X .626

The dimensions needed are ID .666" / Length .350" / Outside diameter for pressing .750" The length includes the hub left on the inside of the gear to add bearing width to the narrow gear. The two stock shims each measure .017" and will take up the slack for the bushing measurement at .350"

The stroker gear has slightly different dimensions. Mine was worn to .669 ID with about 2000 miles on it. I won't let it get any worse than .669

Where can I get a replacement Idler gear that fits better and is stronger than the stock? I just sold my '03 klx and am picking up an older '98 so I need to do the ACR and I'd like to replace the idler gear at the same time...

anyone?

thanks

Jesse

Take the gear to a machine shop with these dimensions and have them install a new bushing. You don't need a stronger gear-especially with the ACR mod. A new stock gear will run you $90.00 last time I checked.