Sign in to follow this  

Effectiveness of fork lock

How effective is the fork lock on the '01 S? I will be riding too and from my classes on it this year and bike theft has been an issue in Seattle. I bought a beefey ass chain to lock it up over night, but is it worth it to haul the chain with me when I ride in the city? Or will the fork lock suffice?

The fork lock will keep the handlebars turned full lock left... Soooo... they'd have to pick it up.. Which is no feat.

True. I guess if you looked like you knew what you were doing, you could do whatever you want in broad daylight

In the UK, bike gangs operate around the bigger cities and use scaffold poles (don't know what you call these in the US but they're the poles that make up temporary platforms around buildings when construction work is being done) through the wheels to lift the bike into their van. It doesn't even matter if you have an alarm fitted as they ignore it and they line the van with carpets to kill the noise as they're driving away.

There have been instances of people sitting outside a cafe as a bike's being stolen and, when asked about it afterwards they have said; "Yes, we thought it was strange that they should load the bike into the van with the alarm going." :thumbsup:

Police advise a combination of devices - steering lock, disc lock, alarm with immobiliser and a big chain. You should always lock the bike to something like a railing or streetlight but the lock should be off the ground because you can break a lock easily with a large hammer using the ground as an anvil.

You can also loop your chain through an adjacent bikes at a bike park. If he goes, he should be able to unshackle his from yours but, while they're both locked together, the thieves have to lift both bikes.

I hate theiving scum. Just 20 minutes in a soundproof room with a baseball bat and I could deter any thief from a continued life of crime (and ever walking again).

Ian

The nasty truth is if a professional tief wants your bike he will get it. Unless you park it in your bedroom at night. I hate to say that but I have buddies that are cops and they know it's true. I hate thieves but the buzzards have their act together. The only hope you have is it's ameteurs. prairiedawg :thumbsup::awww::devil:

When I was living in DC Area (Oldtown Alexandria) about 6 years ago I had my motorcycle parked out in front of my Apartment Complex. It had it's steering lock locked. When I came out in the morning one day I didn't see my bike. Sure enough it was stolen. The police recovered it a month later when a cop spotted a kid riding it in PG County. When I got the bike back I saw that they had "PUNCHED" (PULLED OUT) the whole center of the ignition switch which pulled out the steering lock mechanism. Cost me $400 to put it back right...I'd say get a disc lock in addition to the steering lock but even then I would try to put a good quality alarm on it that if the bike get's moved go's off nice and LOUD..

But like another said if it's a professional they'll know how to get around the stuff..

The steering lock and the ignition lock is no deterrent to even a mildly accomplished thief with a screwdriver and a small dent puller. I grew up in NYC in the Bronx, right off the Grand Concourse and Fordham Road during the 70s and 80s, on any Friday or Saturday night I saw many demonstrations of this. Believe me when I assure you it will be out and on the floor faster than I can finish this paragraph.

The ONLY way to even have a chance at slowing (notice I didn't say stopping them) is a large, heavy duty chain through the frame to an immobile object (alarms are a friggin joke, especially in urban environments, unless they are paging the owner with his .40 cal). If you want to increase your chances, use TWO quality means of different types (i.e. chain & armored cable, for example), increasing the chances that they will not have the proper means to sever both types. Throw a disk lock on all disks as well as an alarm if it makes you feel more secure. Parking in a open and well lit area always helps.

However, as it was stated, this will never stop a truly determined thief looking for a specialty bike like a chopper. A small portable oxy-acetylene torch kit and you will cut most any bike chain like butter (yeah, I've seen that being operated from the back of van on the Cross Bronx Expressway believe it or not).

Good luck.

This may not apply always but I usually park it where I can babysit it.

At work I pull it into the shipping recieving garage so none of the scum see it outside.

Other places I try and park it near the entrance where all kinds of people are around and lots of windows so I can see it from inside a buisness say. Best deterent is witnesses. :thumbsup:

Also even though this isn't the best idea because a cop would still have a chat with you over it. In most states its perfectly legal to keep a gun holstered on your belt. As long as its not concealed.

Maybe.... thats a bit much but if you saw someone jacking your bike wouldn't it be fun to catch um and get a lil pistol whip time in? :devil::awww::lol:

CRAP!!

All this info makes me not want to take my ride anywhere if I'm not at the least, strapped. If anyone catches a thief in the act, stick a boot up his ass and then tell everyone at TT!! :devil: We can all live vicariously through you!

Thanks again for all the knowledge people!! :thumbsup:

If you put an alarm in the bike and parked it outfront of the main office at your school it would be alittle safer. Maybe.

Another good device is a pager alarm. Your alarm sets off and it pages you to let you know. THen you run your ass to your bike and get beat up by the people stealing your bike.

.......Crap

Like I said, IMHO the pager is only worthwhile if the owner comes equipped with a .40 cal or 12 gauge and is willing to use it.

When I was living in NY, there was a big story in the Post about a guy who came running outside at 2am in the Pelham Bay section with a baseball bat to "deal with" two punks trying to steal his Escalade. He got within twenty feet of them when one cooly pulled a 9mm and shot him twice through the heart. His wife found him lying in a pool of blood in their driveway still clinging to his bat. He was 28 years old, the car thieves still took the time to steal the Escalade.

When I was living in NY, there was a big story in the Post about a guy who came running outside at 2am in the Pelham Bay section with a baseball bat to "deal with" two punks trying to steal his Escalade. He got within twenty feet of them when one cooly pulled a 9mm and shot him twice through the heart. His wife found him lying in a pool of blood in their driveway still clinging to his bat. He was 28 years old, the car thieves still took the time to steal the Escalade.

See thats why you dont mess around. You go straight to buisness. If they are gonna jack your ride there is a good chance they could be packin heat. A criminal is a criminal on many levels usually. :thumbsup:

Thats what guns are for. To deal with such matters. Bats are for hitting baseballs. :devil:

Yeah sure shoot him and go to jail for 20 years. All for a bike. Sounds like a good deal to me! :thumbsup:

Hey boost ,

These are some suggestions made to me back in my mountain biking days when there was a group in London steeling as many as 20 high end bikes a day.

Note that these could and should be used in addition to some of the other suggestions here.

If you are using your bike for school, have 6 different parking spots for your bike that you feel are good. that way anyone scouting out the area won't be able to find a pattern to your parking your bike (mondays spot this week will be tuesdays next week) this is also good if you are using it to go to work and work 5 days a week.

Try to find a bike that is more expensive and deisirable to theves and park next to it. ( maybe they take his and leave yours.)

Use good locks , cable , etc. In four years of college only had one attemt on my bike, had a good krypto cable lock and they dammaged it but couldn't cut it, my buddy had his bike next to mine with a cheaper but equally thick cable and his bike was gone.

Good luck with it and don't be too paranoid, if they want it bad enough they will get it, and that is what we pay all that money to the insurance company for.