Sign in to follow this  

Help! My 2002 KTM 250exc Needs More Bottom End!

I just purchased a stock KTM 250exc and the bike lacks power from what I am use to. I just sold my 2004 YZ426F that had gobs of power but was too heavy in the tight stuff and therefore I downsized to a smaller bike. Now I have a bike that is much more nimble but lacks the power. Does anyone have any suggestions to get a bit more power without going to a big bore kit?

Any feedback would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

here are a few things you can do

1. buy the james dean jetting kit for the 250.

2. buy the ht racing hop up kit, which comes with a power now device as well as appropriately sized headers (the stock 250 has the 525 headers). the hop up kit will give the bike more low end response.

go to: http://www.ht-racing.com

3. put a 12 tooth sprocket on the front

The HT-Hopup kit with the stock jetting makes a big difference in the bottom end. Lots more grunt! Last time I check JD didn't have a kit for the 02's.

I would also check the new accelerator diaphram that KTM came out after the fact. This made a difference also.. I will have to look up the part # and re-post.

Its got to be the jetting also could be your power valve - That might give it more hit, What about the power dont you like is it the lack of or it never feels like it gets going the 250 should be very close to your Yamaha

I would also check the new accelerator diaphram that KTM came out after the fact. This made a difference also.. I will have to look up the part # and re-post.

jackrabbit--

that's a really good point. the diaphgragm that came with my bike was different than the one listed in the manual. i initially went through some confusion as to which one i should use. the diaphragm that the bikes are supposed to be running is part #590 31 057 000. this diaphragm has "055" printed on it i believe, and has a larger nob to give the bike the appropriate squirt timing-- should be between 2-3 seconds.