Sign in to follow this  

What is an Auto Clutch?

Allright, I posted about my hand getting sore, and someone mentoned to be to buy an auto clutch.. what is it? how does it work? please explain it to me in lamens terms,, THANKS!!

In short it is a "traction device." You will alwasy have traction as long as your reving the bike.

I predict that within 10 years we will see it in competitive racing.

It's in competitive racing now. We have many guys racing with the z-Start at the top levels of off-road and regional motocross series mow. I'm predicting that we will win over some of the top motocross/supercross guys this year.

Also check out what Dirt Bike magazine has to say about our clutch in the October issue in the article about riding in southern Idaho and northern Utah.

I installed a Z-start auto clutch last week and had my first dirt ride today. Is it different? Absolutely. Is it sweet? Absolutely! Once I got it dialed in, it worked flawlessly. I rode everything from wide open sand washes to tight single track. It really shined in the single track. The only problem I had was my face hurt from smiling. :thumbsup:

is it weird? I mean? U dont use a clutch now? u just shift? i mean.. when u go into a turn, u just hit the brake.. then shift down with now clutch.. explain the way u ride with it please... i am debating one.. :thumbsup:

With the z-Start, stalling is a thing of the past no matter how hard or how long I'm on the brakes. Brake slides & power slides are a piece of cake with the z-Start and you can charge into a corner with the brakes on full (locked up), then go WOT out of the corner and not worry about stalling. This is just one of several benefits of the z-Start. If you get the z-Start clutch perch option, then your clutch lever will have a much lighter pull to it. This option allows you to have full use of the clutch lever as you did before (with a lighter pull) so you don’t have to always use clutchless shifting. The z-Start minimizes arm pump and I often find myself riding in a higher gear in many off road situations. The z-Start also provides more clamping pressure at higher RPM (less slip) and it's externally adjustable if you want to dial it in for different conditions / applications. If I go down in a sand wash, my bike is usually still running on its side and I think the z-start helps out here because the z-Start engages the clutch at idle as the bike is lying there on its side (preventing it from stalling in gear) and all I do is pick it up, get on and twist the throttle to be off. If I'm out riding with the little kids who fall down a lot, I can quickly dismount my bike while leaving my bike in gear idling, help the kid up and get them on their way, then mount my bike and twist the throttle to be off...simple! I also have full engine braking down the steepest of hills the way mine is setup, but it can be setup to minimize engine braking if that’s what you want. I thought it would take me a long time to get used to this product since I've been using a clutch lever for ~30 years, but I think this product truly enhances the riding experience. The z-Start comes with a money back guarantee, but I've had mine for well over a year now and will buy another for my next bike.

How do you get full engine braking ... I thought that was the one drawback with these ... if you don't get all the way up a hill and you stall the motor, you roll backwards in gear since it free wheels ... right? If not, how can it idle clutch out?

I think qadsan miss-spoke above; if/when you lay the bike down while it's running, the z-start automatically DISS-ENGAGES the clutch so the bike doesn't stall. As long as the bike is running and you set it up with a low "stall speed", you'll have normal engine braking. Hope this helps :thumbsup: