Sign in to follow this  

PCS Neck Guard / Collar Saved my life

Late Friday evening I got the itch to ride so I PM'd a few riding buddies and left a few voice messages for my usual riding partners. I have done this with good success for years. Someone always shows up. Saturday morning (9/11) I arrived at the trail head and found no one there. I waited for almost an hour before making the decision to ride alone. The trails were in prestine condition and I know this particular system very well. :thumbsup: I figured I would just do one 30 mile loop and call it a day. I called the wife and let her know that if I wasn't home by 4pm to send out the search party. She told me she didn't like me riding alone but I assured her that everything would be alright and I would be careful. :D

I set off on my ride and had a great time. Riding by yourself is a unique experience. I hit all my favorite trails and rode at a steady pace. I really tried to concentrate on technique, standing when needed and being smooth. The WR was jetted perfectly and traction was ideal.

Almost 28 miles into the ride I was almost back to the truck... second gear through a pretty rooted section of trail, down a slight hill and back on the gas when all of the sudden I was flat on my back wondering what the heck had happened. :lol: All I could see were stars. I remember lying on my back thinking this is not good!! :awww: As I tried to catch my breath all I could think about is "my wife is going to kill me!" My neck and back were hurting bad. I just layed there for about 4-5 minutes. After a while I wiggled my toes and then slowly moved my legs back and forth... phew..that is a good sign.... still moving all extremities. I ended up down the trail about 15 - 20 yards from where I impacted a fallen tree that was laying across the trail at exactly head height. As near as I can figure I hit the tree (nearly 12 in diameter) with the top of my mouth guard and my visor. Direct hit! It knocked me flat on my back into what would be my first ever lazy boy on the bike. I can remember the sound of my helmet hitting and every bone from my neck to my lower back cracking / popping all at once. At that point I continued under the tree and coasted down and off the trail into an old dead rotted tree and fell over.

I am convinced that if I had not been wearing the PCS neck guard I would not have ridden out of the woods Saturday. I went home that afternoon and vegged the rest of the day. Very sore and stiff in the neck and back. Advil was my friend for the rest of the day and night.

Sunday I returned to the trail with my trusty chain saw to have the final say with that tree and hopefully prevent someone else from having the same accident I did.

In looking at the trail with my wife she was wondering the same thing I was "how the hell did you NOT see that???!!!" I have no idea. Lighting, day dreaming, looking through the tree and down the trail.... I don't know. I guess it is a good thing that I didn't see it as I didn't have time to tense up and that is when you get hurt.

So for anyone who has ever given any thought to purchasing a neck guard, no matter who the manufacture is, DO IT!!!! It may just save your life some day. It did mine. :devil:

To see the system I was wearing visit PCS at:

http://procyclesafety.com/main.html

Wow man, glad to hear you didnt get seriously hurt from that one.

Damn trees jump out of nowhere. I try to wear my EVS everytime I ride.

Forgot it this weekend, but it was in the back of my mind during our DS ride.

lucky ur ok could have been alot worse

i bet the bike would have done a huge ghosty into a bush or somthing

but things like these are why nomater what i never ride alone

Dude, we are all glad you are walkin' and talkin' :D:devil:

Glad to hear it. Very glad to hear you give a damn enough to trim the tree so that no one else gets hurt. :thumbsup:

Men of action are a rare breed these days, Sir. :awww::lol:

WOW! -- not everyone walks away from a collision like that..... Glad you're ok. Maybe you had a concussion too? That's the kind of wreck they carry you away in a stretcher with the big collar on ya, and it takes 3 people to keep yer spine straight while they roll you over on the back board.

I've been considering a neck brace for myself & son these last few weeks. The money always seems to go elsewhere.... But not this week. I'm sold. Thanks for the wake up call. :thumbsup:

Wow Ace! Glad you are ok :thumbsup: Ya know I was just talking to Sharpie about neck guards this past weekend. You are lucky though, a few inches lower and I don't think anything woulda helped you. Hope you are ok and it might be a good idea to go have your neck/spinal column checked xrayed.

Fryboy

Thanks for the support guys.

Working in a hospital on the trauma team has it's advantages. I see too many people come into our hospital paralyzed and I am well aware of all the signs, symptoms, and precautions. Unfortunately all the precautions go out the window when your by yourself. :devil: Kind of strange clearing your own neck but I didn't really have a choice. Had I felt any pain (acute) when moving my neck or any numbness or tingling I probably would have stayed there and let my wife send out the search party. I really got lucky this time. The angels were riding with me that day! :thumbsup:

Ive always been against the neck roll/colar deals, 'they look stupid'. I saw a buddy of mine break his neck on his bike, he was NOT wearing one. The doctor who worked on him (who weirdly, also rode) said that if he had been wearing a nek support device like the EVS, he wouldnt be in the hospital... :thumbsup::devil: Um.. yeah.. I dont care how it looks, I'm going to run out and get one.

i bet the bike would have done a huge ghosty into a bush or somthing

but things like these are why nomater what i never ride alone

That's the ironic and scary thing about this one. Even if he would have been riding with a pack of buddies, it probably wouldn't have helped. If each guy was slightly out of sight of the next guy going around that turn, each one would have gotten clobbered, ghosted down the trail and into the bushes. In the end, there would have been a pile of bikes and riders, all semi-conscious (or worse for those without neck collars) :devil:

Real glad you survived that one intact, Ace. Stay safe, and thanks for the post about neck braces. :thumbsup:

Even if he would have been riding with a pack of buddies, it probably wouldn't have helped. If each guy was slightly out of sight of the next guy going around that turn, each one would have gotten clobbered, ghosted down the trail and into the bushes. In the end, there would have been a pile of bikes and riders, all semi-conscious (or worse for those without neck collars)

Thanks for putting that spin on it.... I had not thought of it that way. Good thing my riding buddies stayed home! :thumbsup:

I got one for my son a while back, but reckoned I didn't need one. Well, after this weekend's mishap, I reckon when I'm down the dealer picking out my new helmet, I'll be picking out a neck collar too. Who cares what it looks like :cry: