Sign in to follow this  

Honda FMX650

The japanese manufacturers all seem to be making 'Supermoto style bikes for people who dont want supermotos' rather than actual supermotos.

XT660X, FMX650, MT-03, etc all seem to be the same big bland boring pseudo-trailies that they have been selling for years, tarted up and rebranded. Could it be that suzuki is the only company with an ear to the ground?

My flatmate is over at the show in Munich at the moment. I'm really jealous.

How about this thing? http://www.motorcyclenews.com/jpeg/124/1297870.jpeg

I didn't say it was innovative, i said its what people want (at least in theory), a street supermoto from a japanese manufacturer. The DRZ may be a pig, but at least it is a bike that people actually use off road. Only vikings and lumberjacks would ride one of these supposed street motards/trailies off road.

Not once have i ever heard anyone say: 'I want an underpowered 350 pound bike that looks vaguely like an offroad bike'. The big boys have been trying to sell us these things for ages. They have tried to split the difference between street and dirt for years when everyone wanted a dirt bike with basic road abilities. Dominators, transalps, africa twins, vstroms, xt660's, they all weigh a ton, have cushy seats, sloppy suspension and monster fairings. I know some are so-called 'adventure' bikes, but the closest thing to what we have been asking was the crm250, and that was a 2 stroke! They even tried this one on us: http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Honda/2001/Vigor%20FX%20650/

Now that its time for them to make a supermoto, they are making the same mistake. People want a real supermoto (i.e. based on a light, nimble dirt bike) and they are giving us a supermoto/tourer hybrid.

I wanted a pretty lady. Honda gave me a sheep. Yamaha gave me a goat. Suzuki gave me Rosie O'Donnel. Me and suzuki may have differences of opinion regarding aesthetics, but at least suzuki listened to me. And man, oh man, are there gonna be a lot of Rosies being ridden around.

Then again, the article says it could cost about £4k, which is less than a DRZ400S (not sm) goes for... If this became the commuter of the masses that could be funny. Imagine a supermoto with a pizza box on the back!

It is just frustrating that they are simply missing the point.

That thing only weights a few pounds less than the new ZX-10R for chrissakes! Which pumps out about 120-130 more horses.

The Suzuki SM thing is the closest yet to a decent street moto, only it is still lacking in CC's. Simply bolt up an XR65R with starter and wheels at 300lbs, and you have a new winner for the street. Something that can pull highways speeds without fear of grenading itself, if needed.

-MW

Seems like the Honda XR650L might be a good ticket. What does it take to ge the L to R spec? Carb? Suspension? THanks for any insight. D

Like I said: "Looks interesting"

Not saying I want one. To heavy, no power and a motard wannabe. Nah, give me the real deal :thumbsup:

Seems like the Honda XR650L might be a good ticket. What does it take to ge the L to R spec? Carb? Suspension? THanks for any insight. D

Easy - take the old heap-o-junk air cooled 650L donk out, chuck it in the garbage, replace with the nice liquid cooled 650R donk :thumbsup: Seriously, totally different motors, nothing you can do to the L will make it the same spec as the R. The R will (should) always have more tuning potential.

That sucks! I thought the R and L would share most components, like the DRZ E and S. Thanks for the info.

You just have to do it yourself...

My 650R works really well as a Motard...

Why does everyone want electric start ???

The kick start is so easy...

And no battery...

:thumbsup:

Alex...