Sign in to follow this  

RM-Z problems

I ride a wr250f and I like it a lot.

I will buy a new bike later this year, and I really loved trying a rmz250.

The one thing that is troubling my choice is all the problems a friend of mine has been having on his bike.

First it leaked oil, then overheated and finaly valve problems!!

I would like to know if he was really unluky with this bike, or if this is usual on more rm-z.

Thanks a lot.

To be honest, all new 4 stokes have a few problems of there own. They are making alot of power from a small motor and turning alot of rpms. The kx and rmz is a very good bike. The new 05 have several changes made to them. Our 05 has about 10 hrs. on it and my son likes it better than the 04 he raced earlier this season. We have made a few mods to the 05 but it seems to pull really hard all the way from the bottom to the top end. Do not be afraid of buying a new rmz, all of the bikes could have problems, what ever bike you get just try to keep off the rev limiter alot, ride it like a 4 stroke not a 2 stroke and you will be pleased.

My 04 never leaked oil, or overheated. The valve problems are starting to show after 9 months of riding. If you have unlimited funds to spend, and or ride for a racing team then this bike is for you. I am not trying to say that it is not a great bike when it operates properly. It is nothing short of AWSOME!!! After unloading my bike to find out my compression was low one sunday I sat at the track watching my friends ride all day long, trying to figure out how to come up with the money to fix my almost new kxf. My advise to you is if you want a good 4-stroke 250 buy a yamaha yzf. Three of my riding buddies have them, ride the c--- out of them and have had 0 problems with valves, oil leaks, overheating. Or you can wait until KAWASAKI has it figured out like I have to.

Keepin it REAL

Okay, I am not a Yamaha Fanatic or anything but I buy them most of the time because I am friends with the local dealer. However, I can say that I have a 2002 YZ250F and have been thinking about getting an '05 RMZ. I have pretty much been scared off by the stories. I bought my '02 YZF from a kid who obviously knew little about maintenance and it was 8 months old. I have riden it to death and during my time with it maintained it well. My son has taken it from me now, which is why I am looking for a new bike. He riders it all the time and is NOT good with maintenance. Doesn't clean the ari filter for that matter. I get to it once in a while. Here's my point. . . I shimmed the valves once and they were just slightly out of spec. No problems, it runs like it's brand new. Again, I am not a brand-loyalist and have been looking at all the new bikes since I think the YZF feels like it has a high center of gravity, but I think it is undeniably the reliability king.

JUst bought my boy a new 04 in July, loved the bike for about a month and a half, then he sucked some dirt in through the carb we had to rebuild because it was smoking. Got to ride 1 race day and one practice day. now it won't start, no compression, geuss what ? VALVES does any one know if I can just reshim or will this be a reacuring thing?

IWANNA... I don't know if this is typical or not, but my valve just lost clearance, and I shimmed it (.. 1st shimming on this valve). I rode for about an hour and a half, and it lost clearance again!! And I don't scream my motor. I was skeptical about shimming it, so I rode it pretty easy and it still didn't last.

I'd just replace the valve.

...my opinion.

~Tex

RMZ -1 valve

IWANNAGETON,

You might be able to get away with shims for a while. I would have the tolorances/clearances checked immediately. You may be okay for a while. From what I understand it a self destructing design. The soft valves along with the soft valve seats pound each other to the point that intake valve(s) is unshimmable. The thinnest shim they make installed will still keep the valve open due to either the seat being pushed up or the valve stretching/cupping or both. Whatever is happening it means that at least you will purchase a new head, valves, springs, retainer clips, shims, ect. There are aftermarket head mods, and heavy duty parts available(VERY EXPENSIVE!!!) but I simply don't have the $$$ to HOPE that any of these part combos will even last 12 months of normal weekend riding. To answer your question, Yes! I feel it will be a reoccuring problem until it is addressed with stronger, more resistant, durable parts/head design.

for what it's worth

My friend called me today from the honda/yamaha dealer. 3 guys were in with ruined 4 stroke parts, 2 CRF250's that dropped valves and a YZF with the same problem, it aint just the KXF's with problems, just a nice case of the media picking on the smallest of the motorcycle mfg's.

ummm.... sorry but just a look at the forums would indicate differently. Also, the rep on the Honda's is a problem as well so how is that picking on the "small" manufacturers? There IS a problem. I want to buy a RMZ but I will wait to see if they have it sorted out in 05. I have an 02 YZF, original valves, riden hard for years, no problem.

A problem can't be fixed unless we admit there is a problem. Good bike, but this valve issue needs fixing.

Is it just at my local tracks, or do the kxfs and rmzs just dominate? I was watching a pretty big race last weekend and the 125B and 125A classes were 75% Kawasukis. I've only rode one once and I noticed how light it felt and how low the center of gravity was.

If I was getting a new 250f, it would be a really tough choice between a kxf and a crf. The mags have all rated the crf tops but from what I've seen at the track, hardly anyone races the crf. The kxf is the number one bike at the tracks around here anyway.