Sign in to follow this  

FMF Q-Pipe Questions

The used CRF250X I just bought has an FMF Q-Pipe Silencer on it. I was also given the original silencer. My goal is to be as quiet as possible. I'm not a particularly fast rider.

I've thought about switching back to the original silencer but had a few questions:

1.Is there a noticable change in power between the FMF and stock muffler?

2.Is there a noticable change in weight between the two?

3.Is there a noticable change in sound level between the two?

4.Does swapping mufflers require any tuning changes to the engine/carb?

I realize that most of my questions could be answered by just doing the switch, but I was hoping to get some informed opinions first.

Thanks.

I've got a Q on my X. I noticed a slight power and responsiveness improvement over stock, but I made other changes as well (air box, pink wire, re-jet). Noise is virtually the same, not noticeably louder. Weight is around 2 lbs less than stock. I'd keep the Q on, no reason to go back to stock. The pipe should have no impact on jetting/carburation as its "after the fact" :thumbsup:

Terry how much louder is th eQ over the stock X with the baffle out?

StealthRider If you are selling the Q please PM me, I am interested.

The pipe should have no impact on jetting/carburation as its "after the fact" :devil:

I had to change my main jet when going from the standard pipe to the FMF Q. I think from memeory I had to go from a 130 main to a 135.

I actually found the standard pipe on my X "too quiet" and almost got wiped out passing slower riders/ quad bikes sometimes as they didn't hear me coming!! :thumbsup:

I had to change my main jet when going from the standard pipe to the FMF Q. I think from memeory I had to go from a 130 main to a 135.

Now this is interesting. My bike is stock except for the Q exhaust. When I called FMF concerning jetting they said to go to a 150 main. Now that seems rich to me but it does run well and I have never killed a plug. How is that 135 main treatin ya? But then again the guy I talked to at FMF sounded like a kid and I kinda questioned to myself if he really knew what he was talking about.

Sound on the Q is supposed to be 92db vs the stock 87db.

I have a 42 pilot and an adjustable fuel screw waiting to be put in. It feels a little lean on the bottom but i have been too lazy to dig into it and swap out the jet and screw as of yet. I have heard that the 42 pilot is the hot ticket. :cry:

I put the Q on my x and noticed a gain at the bottom end and a little more snap in the midrange almost like the powerband on a 2stoke. I found it worth the purchase. The Q is a little louder than stock. The stock muffler was so quiet that at speed, the wind noise was louder than the engine. The only problem I found with the Q was that my bike is a little harder to start and stalls a little easier. It may just be that I need to adjust my jetting since the engine can breath a little better than stock. Too lean.