Sign in to follow this  

EXC 450 issues

there might be something about it already on this forum, didnt check

a few of my friens ride 450's '04 and each of them suffered at least one if not both problems

1.left fork seal broken, pouring oil on the brake

-clean the dust seal inside regularly (both, not just left :thumbsup: )

2.clutch enganging even when pressed, when idling, no chance to find neutral

problem - temperature bent clutch metal plates

-change only the metal plates, prefferably with better aftermarkets, otherwise if you wait till the clutch starts slipping, youll have to replace all the plates and maybe springs

3.(this happened to only one of them, not by his fault, dealer accepted the guilt but not covering whole expenses) when replacing rear pads, be 100% sure, check and doublecheck if the position of those is fixed, because the outer pad can slip out, rotate around and the two alu teeth that hold the pad from behind would press toward the disc, brushing them (if it happens during the enduro race full of mud, you dont notice it till its too late)

1) Fork seals are a known issue on KTM's. They seemt to like to spec ones with low stiction but they do need more maint. I get a year+ out of them so I'm happy with the trade off.

2) It's rare to read about anyone with a newer KTM RFS having any clutch issues. What kind of oil are they running?

3) So you're saying it's KTM's fault that someone can't put rear brake pads in correctly? I thought the USA was the place where no one had any personal responsibility anymore. Seems it's spreading.

You might look into these. They seem to work remarkably well.

http://www.synergyseals.com/

As far as clutch plates I don't believe this is a known problem with the bikes. A lot of us run auto clutches in our bikes and this can generate a LOT of heat. Nuetral does seem to be hard to find on many of these bikes.

My 04 400 is terrible about finding neutral. I put in a Rekluse auto clutch and was extremely carefull setting it up and it is just as bad as stock. I was lucky on my 02 400 and neutral was very easy to find.