Sign in to follow this  

Rear bearing removal and install

Anyone have any tips on removing and installing new rear bearings? I don't have access to a press so I have to do it the old fashion way. :thumbsup:

Well , I am no expert at this but have done twice to my bike and worked so far.

Method one, this is for those who have never had the stock bearings out of the bike , or put back in bearings without antiseize.

Get a long center punch and work from the opposite side of the wheel try to work the bearing out. will take time so don't rush it.

Method two , if you go through two sets of bearings a year like I have( way too many deep water crossings) and you put in lots of antisieze the last time you can take a centering punch, BIG one that is larger diam than the center race of the bearing and from the bearing side slide it into the bearing untill it is snug, then hit it twice with a good size ballpein hammer. then flip the tire over and drive the punch out with the bearing attached to the punch. You will need to be able to put the punch & bearing into a vice to drive the bearing off of the punch so that you can do the next one. This works well and is much faster than method one.

When you put in the new bearings, I would recomend carfully removing the dust caps and washing the sh** lube that they put in the bearings out and fill it up with a good , ok not good the BEST grease that repels water and then replace the dust cap. Then making sure to only tap on the outside race of the bearing tap it back into the hub using a hammer and appropriate size center punch. Hub should have antisieze put on before bearing goes back in. Also work your way around the race of the new bearing, North south east west other wise it will bind.

Note : DON'T FORGET THE SPACER PIPE THAT GOES BETWEEN THE BEARINGS!!!!! :thumbsup:

Now you just put some more antisieze on your axle ( this is handy when you are fixing a flat on the side of the trial and don't have a hammer or long punch to drive the axle out.) Put tire back on bike and enjoy :devil: