Sign in to follow this  

Anyone have a black matte finish helmet?

How does the matte finish hold up to scratches and small hits? Does the finish mar easily? How durable is it?

I like the looks of these helmets, but I ride in the woods mostly and don't want a helmet that looks like crap after a few rides.

How does the matte finish hold up to scratches and small hits? Does the finish mar easily? How durable is it?

I like the looks of these helmets, but I ride in the woods mostly and don't want a helmet that looks like crap after a few rides.

Someone had one on for Cisco's Dualsport ride and it seemed to be holding up well. I think that new paint looks sweet!!!

I will be watching this post for more info....

Fryboy

VORDude,

I have also been looking into the flat/matte finish helmets. Acutally thought it would be easier to keep from looking banged up because of the finish... some soap and water then a little flat paint. Much easier than getting the glossy finish back into shape... although I could be completely wrong. I've seen the black finish and the OD green army looking helmet. Leaning toward the later at the moment...

I have a black matte one compliments of a can of rustoleum. Holds up great and is super easy to touch up if needed. I couldnt find a new helmet like that and I personally don't like all the graphics and crap they put on helmets.

Rustoleum? Cool. I will try that because i have been prepping my old helmet to paint black and I have not purchased any paint yet. Very cool indeed.

Fryboy, that black matte finish is mine :thumbsup:

I have had the helmet for about 6 months. It has held up well. Some basic scratches but so far so good. Damages do not show as much as on the glossed helmets. IMO.

I think they are very cool.

MIR

Try the Fox Carey Hart replica its matte black with some red pinstiping kinda of old school hotrod stuff would probably match the color of your VOR. :thumbsup:

Do you worrry about frying your brain in a heat absorbing black helmet?

My next helmet will have as much white and silver as possible.

Light colors that reflect light.

Any solid color is going to show scratches more than a multi color.

Fryboy, that black matte finish is mine :thumbsup:

I have had the helmet for about 6 months. It has held up well. Some basic scratches but so far so good. Damages do not show as much as on the glossed helmets. IMO.

I think they are very cool.

MIR

That helmet looks sweet MIR!!! I saw one in Thin Air cycle shop. Only two ninety nine ninety nine. :devil: I think it will be my next lid

Fryboy

Here is the one I have been looking at.

Bell

The Carey Hart is nice, but a little out of my price range.

I was seeing it for all day long at 185ish. :thumbsup:

That helmet looks sweet MIR!!! I saw one in Thin Air cycle shop. Only two ninety nine ninety nine. :thumbsup: I think it will be my next lid

Fryboy

Picked mine up through Rocky Mountain for less than $200.

MIR

Is it the Fox helmet MIR? Don't get me started on the Rocky Mountain deal. I paid 59 some odd dollars for my rear tire. Found it at RM for 39.99. I hate it when that happens!!!!!

Dave

EnviousDRZ,

I wish the Hart replica was 185ish...

Two different helmets...The Fox Hart replica is $269-$299. The BEll in the picture is 185ish or less. list is $189. it is $169 at extreme supply.com

:thumbsup:

I have the Troy Lee web one and it ahs a few light scratches on it. but it not as bad as I thought it would be..and its not all that hot w/ the air vent in it..

MIR,

You bought the Fox Cary Hart Replica for $200 @ Rocky Mountain? Website says $269. Who do I need to talk to to get that deal?

Do you worrry about frying your brain in a heat absorbing black helmet?

I've been riding in AZ for over 30 years. I've had black, white, red, blue (and many other colors)helmets and never noticed one color being hotter than any other. The EPS is pretty thick, and is an insulator, so I doubt color really affects the internal temps much. I feel venting is much more important, because it is a proven fact that most of your body heat is radiated from the head....and I bought a Giro Downhill bicycle helmet which seems to bear that theory out. I can ride much longer in the desert heat before feeling its effect, compared to the days before I bought it. This is it:

Giro DH helmet....

I've never personally had one, but they do look sweet! :thumbsup:

I know Troy Lee is coming out with three helmets for '05 with the matte finish, one in red, one in blue and then the classic black. Almost wish I didnt just get my white Ryno replica!