Sign in to follow this  

yosh 450 swap - electrical

So just realized after looking at my manual that the wiring harnesses are significantly different between the kicker and E models. Not just the condenser unit.

I am going to replace the entire harness rather than butcher up this one. So I need a kicker harness and looking at the parts diagram there is a seperate ground line. And then there is the condenser unit itself that I need to buy.

Is that all for the electrical?

Anyone have any of these parts laying around gathering dust?

the motor electrics plug in.all you have to do is put a capacitor where the battery is.

but if you want to do it clean.you will need a harness and capacitor.

I have rewired several antique cars as well as every boat I've ever owned. I've found that if the electrical system isn't clean then you are in for trouble down the road. Especially in the mud.

This way I also save the E harness intact for possible use at a later date :thumbsup:.

Doesn't the capacitor mount up front on the kicker? At least with the kicker harness?

yes it does on the kicker,but you can just hook it right to your positive and negative cables.

doesnt have to be a oem unit.a few guys have used a plain one.do a search.should list the microfarad ratings.

you dont need to mod your current harness.

10guy Im runnin a single 4700 microfarad electrolytic that I picked up from jap shack on my Psuedo kicker S.

Works great no complaints. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't waste the time with the whole harness thing. Its not worth the trouble.

Well I am an Engineering Tech for an electronics company...

And I will say... you can do some calculations and come up with an acceptable value based on discharge times of electrolytic capacitors... But thats the slow way...

I just threw in 4700 because I knew it would be plenty to keep the lights solid. :thumbsup::devil::awww:

Oh ya you should get one that handles at least 25V. Rule of thumb is to always overate such components a bit. :lol:

Dont put it in backwards or it becomes a firecracker. Well that one is kinda big so it might just burn and spooge onto everything. :D:lol::D But the little ones are fun to blow up on purpose. :D

Didn't mean to question your decision, I just have an inquisitive mind :thumbsup:

Firecrackering generally comes from overvoltage..Put 120v ac into a 12vdc cap, its fun :thumbsup:

The conductive part of the cap is formed by the electrolyte when the cap is charged..Hooking it up backwards does the reverse and removes this layer..generally ruining the cap.

10guy Im runnin a single 4700 microfarad electrolytic that I picked up from jap shack on my Psuedo kicker S.

Works great no complaints. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't waste the time with the whole harness thing. Its not worth the trouble.

hey nate, can you run this with a battery as well? or does that make no sense. i have a kick on my S and when the battery is dead dead, it seems impossible to start it with the kick. would/could adding that help? or is it only for use with no battery?

just curius.

cheers

droo

Ya the capacitor is just used to achieve good solid regulated DC voltage.

A battery is kinda like a really really big capacitor in a sense. When you remove it the DC regulation will be very poor. You would see half wave AC components on the DC path instead a good solid DC source. This will make the spedo flip out and the headlight would flicker at lower RPMs.

There may be other items powered with the DC source. I am not that familiar with the bikes wiring setup.

The capacitor will hold a charge and begins to discharge when the voltage drops keeping the source solid in place of the battery.

So by removing all the E start items and installing a kick start and capacitor my S is about 10 lbs lighter. I also removed that huge heavy headlight. Big Improvment! :thumbsup: