Sign in to follow this  

Broken Collarbone

I have recently broken my collarbone. It has been just over a month and I am feeling a lot better and have been riding up and down the street. I'm ready to get back onto the dirt. My question is will a chest protector save me from another broken collarbone if I do go down again. Is there anything else that will save a broken bone(braces, straps, anything). Anyone that has any info on this would be helpful. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

a chest protector wont save you from another broken collar bone. it only takes 7 pounds of pressure to break it. so if you land square on it it could break again. however a chest protector could protect your sternem from rocks and you could wear a kidney belt to protect those. as far as anything else i dont know. but good luck hope your out riding in the dirt soon. :thumbsup:

Is there anything else that will save a broken bone(braces, straps, anything). Anyone that has any info on this would be helpful. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

yeah, don't crash! :devil: Seriously, I broke mine 9 weeks ago, I was wearing my chest protector, too. Nothing you can do, really...

I know it took until 7 weeks for me to feel that my bones were fused again, though... are you sure you're ready to ride hard at 4 weeks? Be careful, that loose end can still come through the skin, or puncture a lung! :awww:

I'm not planning on crashing again, but things happen. It took you 9 weeks to get back to 100%? It has been 4.5 and I feel great. I don't know about riding hard yet, but I have to get out there and do something. I know there is a brace for a seperated shoulder, have you heard of anything for a collarbone? I will be taking it easy for a couple more weeks, if you say it took you that long. I dont want to break it again. Thanks for the info.

You can use a neck nut (Sixsixone makes one). It will prevent your helmet from smashing down on to your collarbone, not to mention protect your neck. They take a little getting use to but after a while you don't even notice it.

I'm not planning on crashing again, but things happen. It took you 9 weeks to get back to 100%? It has been 4.5 and I feel great. I don't know about riding hard yet, but I have to get out there and do something. I know there is a brace for a seperated shoulder, have you heard of anything for a collarbone? I will be taking it easy for a couple more weeks, if you say it took you that long. I dont want to break it again. Thanks for the info.

At four weeks I could pick things up and do most things with minimal discomfort, but still couldn't lift much over my head... I could feel the bones shifting around when the muscles tried to pull on it for leverage and didn't get any stability... and OWIE! :awww: At 7 weeks it was like, suddenly, all better! :devil: But my anterior deltoids were WEAK, I couldn't lift anything forward with my arm straight, and my chest muscles were also really weak, I could hardly do a girlie pushup (and before I could knock out a dozen regular puch-ups without a problem! I'm female, though, and tend to not have a lot of muscle there in the first place... so any strength goes away FAST!)

So, now I'm not '100%' to where I was, but do feel the bones are stable, although I've heard from others that rebreaks are common until it has a chance to REALLY 'fuse'...

BUT, if you're feeling great at 4 weeks, yuo just may be farther ahead of the game than I was... I'm 34, so healing takes a bit longer than 23, plus my bones were 't-boning' eachother instead of laying nicely on top of one another... everyone is different, someone else told me they were still sore at 14 weeks!!

So just be careful, and listen to what your body (ie: PAIN!) is telling you! :thumbsup:

Injuries come in diffent forms. Not all collarbone fractures are the same. Impossible to know what type you have (simple/greenstick/complex,/comminuted) from the post. Each type can require a different healing time. Other injuries to the soft tissue and ligaments, tendons etc. that happend with the fracture also contribute to the healing process.

I recently broke my left collarbone in a high energy impact. See this if you want more information on that http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=gen&Number=1352910&Forum=gen&Words=NOMADAK&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3weeks&Main=1295049&Search=true#Post1352910.

Mine is broken about 2/3rds of the way out from my neck. The ends of the bone have a gap between them and are angled up at 20 degrees from each other.

I just had a 6 week followup this morning. My X-ray looks worse today than the initial one. Sometimes when you are initially injured, the muscles will sometimes help splint the bone ends into place, which appears to be the case in my situation. Generally there is more angulation and little evidence of new bone growth. It is suprising since there is very little pain involved even with movement. My strength and mobility are very good.

The MD assured me that the bone ends were softening and would eventually "stick" together like glue, the process could take up to 6 months to completely heal in my case. He said this process depends on many factors. Like whether you smoke or not, general health and the stabiliztion of the fracture site. A factor in rehab is keeping mobility in the shoulder vs. allowing complete stability of the fracture site to give the healing process it best chance. In all of his many years as an orthopedic surgeon (he's in his early 60's), he has yet to have one broken collarbone that needed plating.

I always reccommend wearing all safety gear, whether I am broken up or not. I wear a full chest protector but no neck brace.

In my case, choosing to ride while still injured was a personal choice. Probably not smart in anyone's eyes, but it was something I decided to do as an adult. I was in a championship points battle and was not going to spectate at the last race of the season. I felt pretty good, had already been back to work for a long stretch in a physical job, etc. That being said, I wouldn't let one of my kids ride that way.

Confidence in your riding means alot. With 4 weeks off, I was a bit more rusty than I thought I would be. It contributed to some minor problems at race speeds. People ride at different levels and I usually am always pushing, esp. in a race. Riding around in the yard or in a controlled space without other riders would be really safe in my opinion. Good luck and quick healing to you!

:thumbsup:

One of these goes a loooooooong way toward preventing

any neck-related injuries. The most common cause of the

clavicle snapula is the bottom edge of MX helmet coming

down on it.

If yer neck is really strong it holds up a LOT better, my man.

These are 15 bucks. You can use a milkjug full of water

for the weight.

headstrap.jpg

Thanks for the responses. I have pretty much the same fracture, it was a pretty clean break though. There are only 2 bone chips sitting there. The doctor told me I will have a big ball of bone by the time it is done. It is broken basically right in between my neck and my shouler. Is there anything to do about the sore muscles in my neck? It hurts worse than my collarbone does. I went out and rode last night for a couple minutes but it hurt pretty bad. Since I am not in a points fight, I think I'm gonna wait at least a week or two more before I go out again. I'm seriously sore today and I rode easy last night. The Doc says its at least 6 weeks before you are able to do much with your arm. Is there any rehabing I can do to make my arm stronger and make it heal quicker? Is there any test I can do to see if its ready or just a feeling thing?

Catch all recipe for sore muscles. The pneumonic is RICE, Rest, Ice(I would limit this one near the carotid arteries), compression (again very difficult for a neck) Elevation (it is already above your heart). That pretty much leaves it up to rest alone. 2 Extra strength tylenol(500mg) every 8 hours not to exceed 3000mg in a 24 hour period is keeping me relatively pain free. I am 240 lbs.

The collarbone is a spacer bone, doesn't really do a whole lot except keep the shoulder joint out away from the mid point of your body. All sorts of 4 legged creatures like deer and dogs don't have them at all. In humans, there are alot of muscle attachments to it. You may have strained or pulled some of your muscles in your accident. Being stationary and having muscles atropy (shrink) while healing can become readily apparent once you begin taking up regular activity again. Ouch.

Strength training at this stage of the game to rehab would be unwise. Listen to your body, no smoking, proper nutrition, good hydration, slow stretching, work up to full activity slowly. Rushing things usually leads to setbacks.

Having broken both collerbones more than once I have normally got back to riding within a few weeks but carefull riding only!!. Enjoy some easy riding but don't push it. Re braking a healing break will increase your healing time by quite a bit!!, (been there done that), so be carefull. :thumbsup:

If you are feeling good after 4.5 weeks why do you still pop all the candy to feel better :cry:. Don't ride on that stuff and NEVER let a two smoke win!