Sign in to follow this  

When will Honda.....

When will Honda come out with a true CRF mini?

Something to compete with the KTM, Polini, and Cobra mini's?

4-stroke power with real suspension. Anyone heard anything?

They make one, kinda, lol, it just requires some lovin and tuning and a couple parts from the aftermarket. The bike in my Avtar will wipe any of the bikes you listed all over the place and in my sig is whats done to it. :thumbsup:

I hear ya, but I am talking one for the little kido's. The suspension on your bike does not suite a 50 pound rider.

If I could build up my son's XR50 and have the suspension for his weight I might consider, but for now, having to sell the XR for a KTM Sr. Pro.

I hear ya, but I am talking one for the little kido's. The suspension on your bike does not suite a 50 pound rider.

If I could build up my son's XR50 and have the suspension for his weight I might consider, but for now, having to sell the XR for a KTM Sr. Pro.

SMB, that is exactly what Im doing for my 5 yr old. My kid is not going to race...at least not for the next year or so. He tried out a husky boy Sr. for a couple weeks and ended up liking the xr50 better. He's only about 50 lbs and he kept complaining about the husky feeling too "springy" So against the advise of several Thumpertalk members(actually about 50% who responded to my "should I mod the x50 for my son" post), Im going to put on some aftermarket bars, 88cc kit, and 60 lbs rider springs in the fork and shock. I plan on keeping the bike as a future pitbike for both of us, so I figure I have nothing to loose. If the 88cc kit makes it too powerful, I'll make a throttle limiter for him.

Jester gave me some great sites for xr mod parts. If you like I'll post them for you.

Mike

you have my attention!!

What about the stock suspension travel?

The stock fork and shock only allow for 3.5" of travel. That's not enough to grow into. Are you going to replace the stock with some after market? I am with you on the handle bar replacement but can hold off for now on the engine mod. If I could just get the bike about 2-3" taller and have some longer travel suspension I would consider. :thumbsup:

Steven

If your main conscern is the suspension being stiff that is solvable. The shock I run on my bike, the iShock, can come in differnt spring rates, the rate I have on mine works pretty good for me with it backed almost all the way out and is nice and plush but I weigh 120lb's. You could probably get the next spring rate lower below the standard that comes on the shock and it would suite him perfect. As for a fork setup and not having it to stiff, you could go with some BBR SP-5's and take out the stiffer fork spring that comes with it and put in a stock xr70 fork spring, then bingo your boy now has 6" of rear wheel travel that wont be to stiff, and 5" of front end travel that will be nice and plush for him as well.

yea, so how much we talking

Don't care to do the motor right now, could do that later.

Let's see, handle bar kit, front and rear suspension, probably need a tall seat foam too or does this suspension upgrade lift the bike high enough? What about rear swingarm, is that necessary?

BBR SP5's=$500 and then xr70 fork springs are about $60, somewhere around there, also comes with a full Bar Kit setup.

Ishock w/ Reservoir which I recomend=$250 sometimes you can find cheaper on ebay or even find the Limited Edition model like I have for $300 on ebay which is normally $378.

I dont think seat foam will be needed as this is going to over double the bikes ground clearance. And a swingarm isnt needed, but will make the rear shock plusher and work better through its travel, but a swingarm would run you around $300 as well.

And oh yea, here is a site that has great prices and you can get everything I just told you about from except for stock 70 springs. www.crf50racer.com Look under Front suspension, and swingarms and shocks.

around $900 bucks huh?

wish I new someone around here that had one set up for their kid so we could get a ride and see if it would be worth it. We are currently shoping for a KTM 50 Sr. Pro.

That little bike rips. But would be nice to have the 4-stroke since we do mostly woods riding any way.

SMB and Jester,

I was thinking about these extended fork legs if my kid needed more height:

AtomicForkLegs.jpg

They cost 134.00

I dont think there are many places (if any) that kids can race the engine modded xr/crf's....but I dont care....we ride to have fun...if he really wants to race later on, then he can decide and we'll get a race bike. If I entered him in a race and he got hurt because of it, I couldn't live with myself.

But for now at 5 years old, he loves his xr, so we'll keep it and work on it together.....We have just as much fun working on our bikes, so I think that modding the xr and witnessing the changes and improvements will be a great learning experience for him.

yea I have seen those too but they don't provide more suspension. I kind of like the idea of BBR front end, I-Shock in the rear. Will put the bike in the air a bit and give my son the ride he needs when doing the 20-30' jumps. Right now the bike is like a ton of bricks when he jumps.

For $900 I could keep him on the XR for another year then bore out the motor to keep him interested for another year then he would be ready for a 65. I am still looking into it though. He sure likes the KTM 50 Sr. Pro. ME TOO!

Plus, think of it this way, after you put that stuff on the 50 and he does finally move up to a 65, you will have a already trick 50 for yourself that would only need the springs in the suspension to be brought up to your weight :devil::thumbsup:.

I know you guys like the 50's but hey, I got a brand spanking new XR80 down the road for sale. Not even been used. Hes asking 1500 but we think he will go down too 1300. Is that a cool playbike to pop some mods on and have fun. Let me know cause this is a one in a mill. chance how new it is. We might buy it Wednesday. Fun bike, then maybe re-sell it for more to make a profit on it :thumbsup:

Yea, xr80's make super fun playbikes as well. And there are a ton of mods available for them as well. That sounds like a good deal to, go for it and have fun.

80's a little too big for my 6 year old right not. He has taken his older brothers out for a spin in the field but still way to big. Would like to get a little more umph out of the 80 for my 10 year old though...

Bigbore for the 80 :thumbsup:, I know where you will be able to get one that will work great and not be to expensive like the Takegawa kits, but isnt out just yet. Probably will be a couple months.