Sign in to follow this  

WR426 VS. 300EXC VS. 450EXC

I am looking to get a new bike this winter. I am on a WR426 now but my bigest complaints are that I don't fill like this thiing turns worth a crab and it feels very heavy. I am seriously thinking about the 300exc two stroke but am looking at the 450exc as well. Any comments???

How is the 300exc in the tight woods, as in technical single track??

How is the 300exc in the tight woods, as in technical single track??

as good as it gets, especially the 04 and up which are lighter than the old ones. either the 450exc or the 300 will dog up your wr in anything technical. the weight is less, and much lower, so they go side-to-side more quickly.

in general, i believe that the ktm 300 is the most versatile all-around dirtbike on the planet.

mw

SO are you saying that you can do that extremely technical stuff on the 300exc. You know the tight technical rocky almost at an idle 1st gear stuff.

SO are you saying that you can do that extremely technical stuff on the 300exc. You know the tight technical rocky almost at an idle 1st gear stuff.

umm. yes. although i usually go faster than almost at an idle. i have ridden mine alot in moab, downieville, rubicon, and the southern sawtooths. there is some technical terrain there. it's sort of what i prefer. i think the 300 works better for me in that stuff than a 4-stroke because the power off the bottom is just a touch softer and more controllable.

bill dart, who also likes technical riding, and has ridden "5 miles of hell" in under 2 hrs (i guess that's unusual, but he can ride) prefers the 300 also.

mw

I just did the very same thing you are thinking about. I had an 01 WR426 that was YZ timed with an FMF Q pipe and I also had the forks raised in the triples to increase cornering. I’m only 5’7” and around 165 lbs. and this bike was just too heavy for me in the tight stuff. With the tall seat and most of the weight up high, I had a rough time handling the bike in the slow, nasty stuff. The rocks literally felt like I was plowing through them.

2 of my buddies have the 450 EXC’s and one has the 400 EXC. I rode both of these quite a bit before buying the 300. To me, they feel lighter than the WR because the weight is lower on the bike and they are about 10 lbs. lighter. We weighed them the same day, wet with empty tanks. Set up right, I’m not sure I could tell much of a difference with the cornering between these and the WR. Could be that I was more used to my own bike but it was set up pretty well for me in the corners. Right now, if I was buying a 4-stroke 450 off road bike, the 450 EXC would be my first choice, even with the new CRF450X coming out.

The 300 feels like a toy in comparison to any of the above mentioned bikes and it rails in the woods. It’s fantastic in the slow stuff and way less tiring than the WR is. The seat height is also about 2” lower which makes it a lot easier when things get nasty. Power wise, the WR has a little more broad spread and a 10 mph higher top speed. The 300 however, is extremely quick and has great low end power and I was instantly going faster through the rough stuff the first time I rode the bike. Like Velo, I rarely idle through the rough stuff but even when you do need to go slow, it’s geared right to creep along or rail, whatever you choose.

I’m extremely happy with the change from the WR to the 300. I'm also in Colorado and the 300 has plenty of hp at any altitude and I rode Red Cone @ 12,800' a month ago. The bike weighs 40+ lbs. less than my 426 and trust me, you notice it after a long day.

I have ridden all of these bikes quite a bit, The 300 has amazing low end, I live in Colorado and know what you mean by tecnical and the 300 does it with ease, it rides like a for stroke alot of people call it a 3 stroke because it chuggs way down low crawls and snaps to attention like a little wipped baboon, Its so much lighter you will be wondering why you didnt buy one years ago, dont wait go buy one, they ride very similar to a four stroke

It's got a 2.9 gallon tank on the 04', the web site specs are wrong. I've gone 70 miles in rough nasty conditions without hitting reserve. It also carries the fuel very low on the left side of the bike.

I have a 04 450exc and it feels almost as light as the 250x that I've ridden. I sold my crf250r to get an leftover 04. This past Sun I raced for two hours in a fairly technical east coast hare scrable and the guy that I raced with most of the race was on a 04 300exc (he is 46yo former A moto rider). It would chug like my 450 then zap me with some open-bike roost. I wanted to switch bikes with him at the 1 hour mark but he wasn't havn't it.

He did get a bitchin hole-shot on it as well :thumbsup:

I have ridden all three bikes you mentioned and think the KTM 300 works best. However, I just purchased a 2005 KTM 450 EXC because I wanted a 4 stoke and I hate to mix gas. The new bike seems to handle better stock than my 03 KTM 450 did with modified suspension.

I love the 300...it can be a bit of a hard hitting bike if you are a throttle jockey like me. I tend to over rev it and peak the power like a 250 which doesnt do the bike justice. If you short shift it and ride the low rpm wave it is untouchable!

The weight is unreal. Like riding a toy.

handling is great but needs stiffer fork springs for guys 200# on up.

Vibration is noticeable, but not horrible. I may go to a Fasstco Flexx bar soon.

It starts first kick EVERY time.

If you get a chance to open it up...it will whip a 525/450 in the midrange but tops at about 80mph where the 525 and 450 will take it.

PS anyone know of a tire that actually LASTS on a 300? IT SHREDS rubber :cry: