Sign in to follow this  

Going to try red

I am feeling suffieciently recovered from my surgery and have the docotrs ok to start riding a lttle again. I am picking up 2 2005 CRF250's this Saturday. I got a chance to ride the CRF last weekend and they have finally found some bottom power for the little red screamer. I still don't think the Honda makes as much power down low as the KXF, but it is close, and my dealer made me a hell of a deal on the new bikes. I am going to try the red bike for the upcoming year and see how that goes. Let me state that this purchase was motivated purely by economics, there is nothing wrong with the KXF and I might be riding green again in the future(can you say KX450F?). I will still be lurking on this forum as well as the Honda forum and there will always be a warm spot in my heart for my KXF and the people who ride them. :thumbsup::devil::awww:

from one valve problem to another. :thumbsup:

good luck!

i rode an 05 RBC-r sunday and it IS a good bike. except for the sound of that time bomb motor that it (as well as the limon) has.

doesn't have near the low end a limon has though.

Penguin,

You won't be disappointed with the bike, but it certainly has nothing in the motor department on the Kawi. I just read the new Dirt Bike review of the CRF and must agree with it. Much more torque than before, but doesn't rev out like the '04. The torque is great on the track, but shifting needs to happen or it goes somewhat flat.

As to the handling and feel of the bike, I like the handling and cornering more on the CRF. It is just easier for me to get it around the track. Particularly the forks, that just take the drama out of the nasty stuff that used to have me scared. And though I'm vertically challenged, the height feels just right once rolling.

Good luck with the new bikes and congrats on the successful surgery. Keep us all posted on your Honda experience. I'm really curious about your take being a long time Kawi guy.

Mark

from one valve problem to another.

good luck!

I never had a valve problem with my KXF and I don't expect to have one on my red bike. I don't rev th pizz out of my bikes. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have stock in Yamaha. :thumbsup:

my buddy texlabo races tccra when his rm-z is running. he lives up in the plano area. i've ridden his bike. i've raced against him too.

right now his bike has just trashed his 2nd left intake. it was reshimmed before the last ride. in 4 laps it went to zero. for the longest time he had no problems either. then the first valve went. then in a scant 2 months the 2nd. from new to 2nd smallest shim in a mere 2 months and then beyond shimming in 1 ride of 4 laps of a tccra track. he's not a rev'r either he's a 40 (oh dang did i let that slip? :thumbsup:) year old guy!!!

my other buddy (hi don) has a kxf motor on his workbench. the valves are SO bad (how bad?) that the stems are mushroomed. he took a die grinder to them to get them out! not only that, but the exhaust valves were tuliped as well. don's also got a crf-x with 18 hours on it that has wasted the intakes. he's seen lots of hondas. as a matter of fact, he doesn't know (as do i) of ANY honda crf owner that has NOT replaced either valves. and don works on a LOT of motors.

and yes the blueberry valves can go too. typically not in the same time frame though.

Thanks for calling me out there Steve... you're a real buddy. :devil: But, yes... what he speaks is true. No problems in forever... now suddenly two valves in a row. And yes... I just turned 40. And yes... I don't rev my bike. There's no power there, what's the point?

However... back to the point of the thread... Welcome back Penguin. I was once where you've just been (...no, I didn't break my neck, but I've been told to stay off the bike for several months. It's kinda like prison, but without the good food). At this point, I'd think you'll be happy to ride about anything! I really hope the CRF works out for you. But if I had it to do over again though... knowing what I know now, I'd probably buy a YZF. Again, I'll say it... when the RMZ runs, it's just fantastic. I absolutely love it. BUT... doing all this replacing of valves, and now having to split the cases to clean the oil screens? (they tell you to do this EVERY 6 HOURS!) ...that's just ridiculous! And the couple guys I know that have the CRF-Xs are having real valve adjustment nightmares too. I had '01 and '03 Yamaha's and never had a single valve issue...and I never even took the valve cover off of either of them.

But, maybe they've improved these things on the '05 CRF and RMZs... and I hope like heck yours treat you like they should. You've served your time. It's time to ride now! :thumbsup:

...of course, I won't be seeing you at the track for a while. I'm waiting on valves.

~Tex

RMZ (...minus 1 valve)

thanks Tex. I just get tired of people claiming doom and gloom on every bike that is not their favorite color. I might have considered a blue bike, if the nearest Yammie dealer wasn't a no support after the sale pec%erhead. All the bikes are so close that dealer support is what drives my decision and my dealer sells Kawis, Hondas and KTM's and has treated me right for over 10 years and that is something that is hard to find these days. And I promise I won't make anyone else ride my ticking time bomb :thumbsup:

BTW I race TCCRA to, we'll have to meet and greet sometime

I totally agree with you, on all your points. I'm not a "favorite brand" guy. All I go by is "Is it fun to ride, or not". I think Honda builds works of art. When you look close at them, you'd almost rather put it in your livingroom as a statue, it's so well crafted.

But like you say, all these bike are good now. It's all about dealer support and personal preference. Unfortunately one of my preferences is, I love riding but hate wrenching. So all the warm glow I get from riding the RMZ fades when it's sitting in my livingroom torn down to the frame. If I had a dealership busting their butt for me to make the bike right, my opinion would certainly be better of it. Around here it's hard to find a Kawazuki dealer that even carries a modern day dirt tire (.. a lot of Cheng Chins out there though).

So, it's a tough call right now... I think the yamaha has the valve thing down. Not that Honda and Kawazuki wont get there's straightened out. I just have to be SURE before I invest in another one.

I hope you're heading to Jacksboro this weekend. Know that I'm jealous because I'm not. :thumbsup:

~Tex

RMZ-1v

Unfortunately one of my preferences is, I love riding but hate wrenching. So all the warm glow I get from riding the RMZ fades when it's sitting in my livingroom torn down to the frame.

:thumbsup:

I hope you're heading to Jacksboro this weekend. Know that I'm jealous because I'm not.

come on out, I'll let you help break the bike in, the jacksboro track has some nice open areas and jeep trails I can make short loops on to heat cycle the engine a few times :thumbsup:

I love that Jacksboro track... I've had good luck there in the past. The only small section I don't like is the long grass covered boulder infested powerline-type straight that drops down into the rock infested valley. The rest of the course is pretty great though. I'm still trying to figure out a way to weasel a bike just for Saturday, if nothing else.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/tccra/album69/E300_Start_5_3210_resize?full=1 ...me grabbing the holeshot against all the big-bikes at the Jacksboro/Boars Nest race a few weeks ago. Lost valve clearance after that one.

Come this weekend don't even consider wiping that smile off your face till late Monday... a new bike... a great track... live it up my friend!!! :thumbsup:

~Tex

RMZ-1

You're right the 4L Jacksboro track is pretty nice,I hope you wangle a bike. Jacksboro Boars Nest is a pretty fast track, Marty does a pretty good job with what he has to work with, except for the MX section, that needs to be bulldozed! Not planning on racing this race, still a little tenatative about the neck. I already have a grin on my face, my wife is getting sick of it :awww::thumbsup::devil:

hey penguin!

good luck with the red ones!

I´ll probably change my colour next year, too. But I´ll only go fromm yellow to green, cause I got a green sponsor for next season. So not much change there :awww: ... but for training and open class races I´ll ride a KX 250 2-smoke, too. So far...

RIDE ON :devil::thumbsup:

Hey Penquin

I am exactly like Tex. So much it's like he wrote my posts. I to had no problems then whamo. And now, after about 10-12 hours of off-road riding on the new intake valves and piston I am having major problems. So much that I dought I will race in my own local this weekend as I am afraid of the bike gernading. Another sponsored rider (MX) just gernaded his KXF two weeks ago (busted valves, recked head, piston, bent rod etc). He is much harder on equipment than me.

My shop has been great and likely will continue to be however, I am even considering riding a toned down KX 250 just for reliability issues. I really want to support my shop and sponsor but am at odds with the reliability. I don't have excess cash to be buying parts etc.

Good luck with the Honda. :thumbsup:

I just get tired of people claiming doom and gloom on every bike that is not their favorite color.

listen, i've owned kawaski and honda. bite my tougue, but the honda was better than the yamaha it replaced. in every aspect. ouch, darn sharp teeth!

i'm not spouting doom and gloom, more like truth and warnings.

both green and yellow make some of the BEST street bike 4strk motors around, yet this hybrid is a serious black eye for their reputation. it has design flaws (splitting the cases to service a screen? bloodyhell!) and there is this left intake problem. the entire valve train is suspect on the limon. please explain how the SAME exhaust valve spring is the going to control the *BIGGER* intake valve?

i have both in my hand. part # K4907-80003 for the intake and K4907-80003 for the exhaust. at least honda (part # 14751-KRN-670 intake and 14761-KRN-670 exhaust) differ for their valve springs as do the yamahas.

please explain that. pretty please! :thumbsup:

you might try and deliver your truth and warnings with a bit more diplomacy, I cant see your tongue in your cheek when you post

I did my first real ride on my 05 CRF. The power is very good(very close to the power of my 04 KX250F), as are the brakes. The front forks are very plush, but I find the handling a little nervous for my liking. The shock is way too soft for my 200+ ponds but the fork feels pretty close as is. I have not touched the suspension settings yet and feel that with a stiffer shock spring and a little tweaking the bike should be just fine. The bike mags say that the bike is a bit finicky about the suspension setup, we shall see :cry:

Since I couldn't be there, I hope Jacksboro was a nasty dust bowl. I spent the day driving to Austin to have my cases split. :cry:

I'll be curious to see how the CRF works out for you after you get 'er dialed in. The one I rode felt frount end funky too, so I'll be curious to how that all turns out.

But at the very least, welcome back to riding! I hope to be ready to go again to pre-run Jacksonville this weekend.

~Tex

RMZ-2v

There,s alot of issues about valves on here, we have really had no valve issues, And quite frankly I don't believe springs are the problem, If a valve sticks or hangs up, the spring isn't going to prevent that, and why when you replace a valve that is damaged, the problem resurfaces so quickly would seem more of a valve/seat relationship, as far as the valves slamming against the seat, the cam limits how fast the valve returns, all of my fs are right at the year mark now, and I have replaced all of the intake valves with no machine work to the heads, except for decarboning them, and they are all still running great, have had no cam journal problems, so to speak of either, been running 20/50 castrol forever, I am a car mechanic by trade, and most forein overhead cam cars don't have oil grooves in there cam journals either, I really don't have any answers for you, but I will tell you I've worked on my share of yamahas with broken valves and cases, Simple reasoning more moving parts the more chit will break welcome to the future.

back to the top, good subject focus focus, Hey penguin good to see you up and around, The old saying if it has tits or wheels you will have problems with it seems to be mostly true, Man I won't fly in an airplane because being a mechanic I can just picture someone saying hell it don't need that bolt the factory just put that there to fill up that hole, All my chit is done in house motor, suspension, cranks, and only for me and the kids to hard to please other people don't want the responsibility, now close friends are a different story. And it don't matter what bike your on as long as your having fun, But kawi definitly pays better, Its the only bike I know where you can finish 2nd to any of the other brands and still make more money,definitly a bonus for me, not so much the kids {damn them I wish I was as fast as I thought I was instead od how fast my wife says I am} Keep the rubber side down and don't be afraid to pull over and let me by I accept charity.