Sign in to follow this  

DOH!

I pulled the spacer off my petcock a couple of days ago, and have been riding my bike around town mostly. It was running fine, maby a bit rich, but really sucking down the gas. I refuled this am and noticed my petcock was set on prime. doh! FYI your S model will run on prime if you need it to.

"prime" is like the on-valve of the E model or most other bikes. Just lets gas flow. Dont leave your bike on this when you stop for any length of time because you will just flood it.

If your carb float valve does not close completely, the fuel can trickle down into your cylinder and eventually leak past you rings and into your oil. Pull you dipstick and check the oil, smell it for gas.

Prime or not prime shouldn't have made any diff in fuel consumption. That is what a float valve is there for it keeps fuel from flowing when the bowl is full.

Only difference is prime lets fuel flow without the vacuum presence created by the running engine on the petcock.

Do as drew said. :thumbsup:

Oh ya what are you considering really sucking down the gas? What kind of mileage?

didn't check mileage, just seemed not to last as long as usual. Could have been my driving tenique, I was practicing wheelies at one point. Will check the oil, thanks for the tip. I wasn't worried about anything, was just venting what a dumb a-- I was. :thumbsup: Will check the oil in the AM. Thanks for the tip.

When it's on prime arn't you basicly running on reserve if so when it out of gas your stuck.

When it's on prime arn't you basicly running on reserve if so when its out of gas your stuck.

When it's on prime arn't you basicly running on reserve if so when it out of gas your stuck.

Yea I know, the reason I checked the petcock is because I put 4.1 gal in my 4.2 gal tank and was sure I was not on reserve. Like I said DOH!