Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse or revlok clutches?

I have the Revloc and really like it in my DRZ. The Rekluse is very similar in operation but less expensive in initial cost. Renegade has a bunch of info and experience with the Rekluse. In my humble opinion the auto clutch makes riding the techncial stuff easier, especially for the less experienced rider but potentially for all riders. If considering an auto clutch, I would highly recommend you also think about a rear hand brake to get the maximum benefit out of the clutch package. An auto clutch with a rear hand brake is a great combination. :thumbsup: However, they are not for everyone and everyone has an opinion. :devil: I can say that I really like mine, but that I have no where near the riding experience, skill and ability that many of you have. You really need to try one (an extended test ride is best) and find out for yourself.

That's perfect, thanks. I have ridden a bike with the revlok, a 520MXC. It was at Rampart, not exactly the hardest place in the West to ride. I'm a slow learner and it only took me about 10 seconds to catch on. I noticed a lot of posts with concerns about engine braking. See if I did this correct, the 520 would engine brake all day long unless I hit the rear brake too hard, then I just bumped the throttle and the engine braking was back on. This works fine at Rampart, I keep getting visions of some down hills like on Hell's Revenge in Moab. I would have to get some time in "retraining" myself in down hill riding.

There were several places on our last trip that we called a "Revlok moment" ( I had never heard of an auto clutch till my friend showed up with the 520). Most of the incidents resulted in a PITA of trying to catch the bike or pick it back up. One time though, resulted in me heading down hill fast without my DRZ, the result was a shattered knee guard (no injury). I was day dreaming over an easy obstacle on Golden Spike. If the bike hadn't stalled (my fault) I wouldn't have just ordered a new set of knee guards.

I must say, Rekluse does have a quick response. I e-mailed them today and got an answer to my question in an hour. BTW the Rekluse is 100 bucks cheaper through Rocky Mountain. I'm going to give it some more thought and get a longer ride on my friend's 520. Thanks guys! :devil::thumbsup:

You can have as much engine braking as a bike equiped with a standard clutch, depending on where in the rpm range you set the engagement/stall speed. I have engine braking all the way down to idle. Why don't you make a drive over here to the Boulder area, and try my bike? Bring the GTO, so I can try it out! :thumbsup:

Rene:

Do you have rear hand brake installed on your bike?? I really like mine. Right foot or left hand = rear brake. Sure makes the techncial downhills less intimidating.

CO-DRZ

Hey Bill. I haven't yet acquired the left hand brake lever yet. This summer I have spent both money and time on a new mountain bike, and enjoying it immensely, so....soon, just not very soon!

Bring the GTO, so I can try it out!

OK I will :thumbsup:BTW, GTO is for sale :thumbsup: I'll send you a PM, pretty busy this weekend.