Sign in to follow this  

Prompting users to 'Search'

Mods or someone with influence,

Is there any way that we can change TT so that it says something along the lines of "Have you searched for an answer yet?" prior to submitting a new post?

With so many new users all the time it seems like it's just a never ending cycle of the same questions, in some forums at least.

I know it's not likely to happen it just gets frustrating seeing the same stuff posted all the time, Best grips, best bars, best tires, best brakes, etc....

:thumbsup:

Who cares if you dont wanna respond then dont...

I don't care and deciding whether to respond or not isn't my issue. The issue is it pollutes the threads and it takes some weeding to get down to something that wasn't asked a week ago.

It was food for thought that's all. Thanks for useless feed back :thumbsup:

We can't even get people to be considerate and not post race results in the TITLE, what makes you think they will do a search, which requires effort and thought?

SOME recurring topics are good - as the new members may have information we haven't covered before, and some other people may have updated info!

Who cares if you dont wanna respond then dont...

I think this post was a waste of bandwith

Good point but I bet if you did a search this topic would have come up more than a few times

Good point but I bet if you did a search this topic would have come up more than a few times

:thumbsup: Touche'. Good one.

I try the subtle approach when I keep seeing a FAQ post. I do a quick search myself for a recent thread on the subject, then post that URL in my short reply. Just say something like, "Here's a recent thread from the ___ Forum that gives some tips on your question."

A gentle prod is usually enough to get newbies to think about searching before posting. My two cents. :thumbsup:

Good point Berkeman, I think I need to take a different approach since it really isnt gonna change and I look like an a$$ :thumbsup:

My take on it is that I'm on here just about everyday. I use to search a LOT and read a LOT of good info because of it. I find myself searching less now UNLESS it's on a topic I know has probably been posted before. I just kinda "know" now if there was any valuable info on it posted earlier because I've at least read the title of just about every new thread to come across about 4 different forums.

I also agree that the new blood inevitably will pop out some new insight on old questions too.

Hate to admit it, but I'm more guilty these days than I used to be. Maybe it's just getting comfortable with the technology and the speed with which we can get answers.

You can sit down, type a question, read the rest of the threads, and then quite possibly by the time you're done, have an answer to your question... never needing to search and making more effective use of YOUR time. Also, I will respond at times (not always) to questions I know have been addressed numerous times because it just feels OK sometimes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning not searching but just putting out food for thought since my attitude has changed over the past. I used to actually feel guilty if I didn't search before posting. Now not as much.

Anybody else have a change of heart over this?

Or, am I just rationalizing here?

when i have used the search, it lists replies, not threads... so if there are 50 replies in 1 thread, and u search that topic u will get 50 hits for 1 thread....so if there are 50 threads u r interested in, and there are 50 replies per thread...that is a LOT of results to sift thru.

that is the reason i rarley search TT. any other forum i search first always.

Maybe i am doing something wrong with the search. I voiced my opinion in the suggestion threads but it got no acknowledgement

:thumbsup:

when i have used the search, it lists replies, not threads... so if there are 50 replies in 1 thread, and u search that topic u will get 50 hits for 1 thread....so if there are 50 threads u r interested in, and there are 50 replies per thread...that is a LOT of results to sift thru.

When I see that there are a lot of reply hits to my search, I just keep clicking the "Next" link down at the bottom of the results page until I see the root post. Then click on the root post and scroll down through the replies looking for what I want.

Or else I add more key words and re-do the search as I get closer, so that I don't have to scroll down through the whole thread if it's too long. :thumbsup:

:devil: Touche'. Good one.

Glad you took it with a sense of humor cause thats how I meant it. It dont bother me I like helping others lord knows everyone on this forum has helped me a ton.. :thumbsup:

It would be nice to have a FAQ for each forum. I created one for the XR250/XR400 as I got tired of answering the same question over and over. It doesn't answer everything and needs a few additions. These bikes are basically unchanged for 8 years... most of it has been done, tested, sorted out.

It would be nice to have a FAQ for each forum. I created one for the XR250/XR400 as I got tired of answering the same question over and over. It doesn't answer everything and needs a few additions. These bikes are basically unchanged for 8 years... most of it has been done, tested, sorted out.

Yes, that would be sweet. Unfortunately for you guys that creates more work.