Sign in to follow this  

250F or 426F

I am looking for a bike with good suspension and power. I know I could handle a 250F and a 426F. My decision will basically come down to which bike is more reliable in the long run. I know with a 250F I would be winding it out more, and with a 426, I could take it a little easier and still be going fast. which bike is the most reliable in the long run between the 250F and 426F????

They're both good bikes, how long they'll last will depend on how you maintain them. The yz426f is a tank - weighs a lot more compared to a yz250f (the wr426f is even heavier). When you get your bike full of mud and crud (and you will), that extra weight will really show itself.

You keep worrying about winding out the 250f, so why don't you just get the bigger bore and be done with it?! Which one is more fun to ride? The 250f, hands down IMO. The big bore is only fun in deep sand, on long straights and for hill climbing. The rest of the time, you can't ride it to its potential like a 250f (i.e. WOT), you have to half throttle it most of the time and have to be careful not to kill yourself hitting full throttle at the wrong moment - especially in the woods. Hope you have strong arms to hang on if you go with the bigger bore bikes, they pull pretty hard and will wear you out sooner than a 250f will. You really need to test ride them to decide, not for 10 minutes either, take both out for a good long time and see how your body will react to both bikes as far as arm pump, excitement (smile factor), power, acceleration, turning, jumping, handling, etc...

this is how I would be maintaining the YZ250F if I got one. you tell me if it would be reliable or not. I would change the oil about every 10 or 15 hours of ride time, clean the air filter every other ride, and I would change the oil filter every 2nd or third oil change. would a 250F last long for me if i maintained it that way???????

this is how I would be maintaining the YZ250F if I got one. you tell me if it would be reliable or not. I would change the oil about every 10 or 15 hours of ride time, clean the air filter every other ride, and I would change the oil filter every 2nd or third oil change. would a 250F last long for me if i maintained it that way???????

There are TOO many variables in your maintenance schedule above. You can't be that rigid about it...

1) How hard do you ride during those 10-15 hrs? - oil & filter change related

2) How dusty/dirty are the conditions you ride in? - air filter related

I do an oil change every other ride, about 100 miles or less (hard trail riding). With the oil change, I change the oil filter and clean the air filter. If the conditions I ride in is VERY dusty, then I clean the air filter before the next ride. If I'm riding the track and wind the crap out of the engine, then I might change the oil before the next ride (I'd change the oil filter the following oil change).

You have to judge it for yourself, how hard you ride your bike, the dusty condition, etc. If you trail ride the engine won't work as hard as if you were on a track winding it out - take all things into consideration and maintain your bike accordingly. If you do tracks and ride hard, do maintenance before every ride. If you do serious trails, every other ride. If you putt around with the kids, maybe every 3rd ride since the mileage you put on may be very low per ride.

Don't forget that oil & filters are only a subset of what you need to do to maintain your bike (any bike). Greasing has to be done for the bearings, lubing various parts (e.g. cables, kick-start, foot pegs, brake pedal, chain), tightening spokes, bolts (especially the ones holding the plastics on since their torque spec is very light and they tend to fall off), etc...