XR650L or KLX400SR

I have the KLX, which BTW is the same bike as the DRZ 400 S.

The 400 has plenty of power and a great deal of aftermarket support.

Really depends on where you plan on riding it. Tell us more about how

your going to use it. I put 1000 miles a month on my bike commuting & weekend dirt rides.

Mostly side streets & twisty fun 2 lane highways. It does fine on the freeway

but the 600 would be better for longer trips. The 400 is a better woods & trail

bike, the 600 is probably a better desert & wide open terrain bike.

This subject comes up every so often try a search, there are a ton of replies

to threads like "what is the best dual sprt for me". etc etc.

I was tryin to choose between a 650 & the 400 2 years ago, then I found TT

and with all the great advice here I decided the 400 was better for me. Even though

I put a lot of street miles on it, it is a great bike in traffic and if you ever go to the

darkside of supermoto it handles great on fat 17" rims & slicks, just keep your stockers

for the dirt. Just passed the 20000 mile mark on my KLX after a 400 mile DS ride last weekend. Still running strong..!!! :devil:?

Hello kawidual,

I want a good bike that will be good on the road and good on the dirt. I will do a bit more of road with it, but I also plan to do alot of trail with my bike. Where I live, there is no desert btw. So they only place where I'll be able to go full speed will be on the street.

With a 400 CC compared to the 650 of honda. Will I see a big difference in power and speed ?

Thx alot for the info.

Where exactly will you be riding? What terrain exactly will you be riding off-road.

I find it hard to communicate online sometimes because everyone assumes off-road means, what they ride off road. My local trails are just big old rock gardens and washed out power-line trails with no dirt. Just rocks, rocks, more rocks, wet roots and sometimes dirt mixed with rocks and roots. Its very hard on the bike, and an XR650L would have no business stepping foot off the road.

Tell us about the trails you intend to ride. If you dont know what they look like, tell us what state you are in and your location. Maybe someone lives close and knows exactly what the deal is.

For this reason don't take recommendations online as fact or even closely accurate. Only you can put the puzzle together and see if the info given fits your terrain, body, capabilities and desires. ?

My personal opinion, the DRZ/KLX is more my type of ride than the XR650L. But then again that opinion is useless, i can only image our differences! :devil:

I'd say if you need the bike to commute to work, and the highway distance is more than 15 miles, get the biggest bike possible. If most of your roadwork is backroads, then the 400 is the answer. In the dirt, the 400 will always win unless of course, you are doing mile long fireroads at full throttle. Most likely the 400 is your best choice. It really doesn't give much in HP away to the old air cooled big bores anyway. The torque might be leaner, but top end should run fairly close.

I ride my 1990 DR650 to work and it's a 42 mile trip, and I can't imagine riding anything smaller. While the seat is comfortable, the mini fairing/windscreen offers little if any protection, and the bars vibe after a bit and make the hands go numb even though they are rubber mounted.

I bought an 04 XR650L as a compromise. I really wanted an XR650R with a baja kit. Upfront cost was the deciding factor. Trying to get the L more dirt worthy will easily eat up the difference. I ride mostly on the street with some dirt on the weekends. With better knobs the L will go almost anywhere, although when it gets tight, 350lbs gets to be a handful. It is better suited to big open spaces, but I have chased my sons around the peewee mx track, (I can't quite keep up with a KX60 unless there's a straight), and have a blast. It is basically a XR600R with lights and a starter. I am 6'3" with a 36" inseam so seat height isn't a problem for me, in fact the higher the better. It is great on the street, feels like a featherweight and will keep up with most any streetbike in the twistys. Overall I'm pretty happy with it and there's a good aftermarket for parts and forums like this one for support. I doubt that I would be fully satisfied with any dual sports performance both on and off road. IMHO

Go with the 400 all the way. I imagine the offroad capabilities is by far way better than any 650 and as far as the street, I use mine to commute 50 miles roundtrip any day the sun is shining when I leave out and I have done a few 200-300 mile rides on it as well, one of those being two up with my wife and the 400 handled it like it was nothing. I was looking to get a 650 because I like alot of guys just assumed that since it has more displacement that it would be faster and stronger. I can't speak about the specs but I can speak from experience about the 400 going against the 650 and the 400 will dust the 650. Everyone says that the 650 can pull ahead in a long straight but come on, the 650 doesn't have that much more power if any to catch up and then overtake! This is just my opinion and like someone else said before, it doesn't mean squat. ?

I love riding my 650L through the tight, nasty stuff.

Its just, so, .... WRONG!

Its like doing autocross in a panzer tank.

Does a better job of it than you'd think, but I'm sure its not everyone's cup of tea.

I ride with a guy with a DRZ400, and it seems quite capable on and off.

-DDave

Thge 650L comes very hobbled from the factory- and becomes a very different bike with a few mods. Its a crime that honda lets it ship hobbled the way it is.

I agree. It is time that Honda did some updates to the BRP. That thing is just DATED. Although, on the other hand, if it ain't broke don't fix it. You can't beat the reliability that the 650 will give you.