Sign in to follow this  

bike pops when off throttle???

Lean?

i pulled my baffle out, and moved the needle to the 4th, and turned the screw out one turn. after a ride around my yard i pulled the plug and its a tad rich. Then i went for a ride on the road jsut a quick one from one feild to another and when im in about 4th, 5th or 6th and let off the gas the bike will make a few quick little POPs. I pulled the plug and its pretty white...the area around the electrode is black though. Im trying to get a 132 main, a 45 pilot and the needle from someone on here since when i went to my dealer today they knew nothing what i was talking about and said the highest made was a 130 :devil:

I have yet to go pinned with my bike for fear of it running too lean...never once did i go 6th pinned...although i hit the rev limiter in 1st once :thumbsup: the bike fell with the throttle whide open...not a pretty sight

anyway. Maybe its just me and being used to riding quads that are quite a bit faster in the bottom and topend range. But it seemed to kinda be lacking today??? could it be cause of the lean jetting and the fact that i only had 87 octane gas? or and i just imagining it?

and i have my exhaust baffle out. Im not too sure if i really want the intake out. If i take the intake out, put those jets i said in, it shoudl run fine and not be lean correct?

Now what if i know im going to be in wet conditions and put the intake baffle in....will it bee too rich?

and what setting on the screw? mine is 1 turn out from stock position.

The CRF230F comes out of the factory pretty lean. I put in the 132 jet and the bike runs a lot better. Removing the baffle seems to always cause some popping, especially at higher altitudes. A old racer buddy of mine who works at a Honda shop tells me that the bike runs best and all popping is elimanated by trimming the front end of the baffle so that about 5" or 6" are left. I haven't tried that yet but have ridden his bike and it seems to work well.

I cant say I am positive but if they are just quite pops then it is probaly just a little bit of gas getting into thr head pipe and igniting. This is a sign of a slightly rich bike. It is very normal. That is the advise that was given to me when I asked about this.

Very minimal popping is normal. It's a carbureated bike!

But if you have loud backfires, the pilot is rich, if it pops on decel, it is too lean.

If you did not remove the air-box inlet, you do not need to worry about the engine being "too" lean. If you do remove it then you will find it too lean to run correctly from about half throttle on. If you decide you want to run the bike with it installed, I think you will find the stock main jet is adequate. Try turning the fuel screw out another half turn to see if your decel popping goes away....