Sign in to follow this  

Water in the engine side oil

I stared my 450 and it ran really rough. Then I looked at the oil and it is like milk and coffee. Would this mean the lower gasket is bad? I can not think of any other way the water could get into the engine side oil. Also, will having a bad lower gasket make the bike run as if some water is getting into the combustion chamber?

Thanks for the help guys.

I've only had my YZ apart that far nto my CRF but I don't remember the piston traveling down far enough to allow any of the lower half fluids into the combustion chamber. It may act wierd because of the increase in crankcase fluid volume. Also, did you check the crankcase breather tube? Is it all full of fluid? If so that could contribute to the poor performance. If not, carefully inspect the cylinder and rings when you have it apart to make sure that your crankcase fluids aren't getting past the rings into the combustion chamber. It should smoke if this is the case, do you notice smoke when it's running poorly?

Well, all I did was idle the bike, since it would not run once I gave it gas. It did smell like unburned fuel though when it was running. I will just replace the gaskets and see what happens. It is easy enough to do. I think the bike overheated since i bent my head pipe. I rode it like that since I did not notice the bend after I crashed. I think the excess head may have ruined teh gaskets. We'll see.