Sign in to follow this  

Convert Honda XR or Trade in on Factory Dual Sport?

I bought a really nice 2003 Honda XR 400 from a guy in Michigan about a month ago and have only had it out once since then. I live in the suburbs and I have to trailer it at least 1 1/2 hours to get to where I can ride off-road. I planned on buying a BD dual sport kit so I could do some street riding, but was putting this off until I was convinced this was a wise thing to do. I bought this bike with hopes of doing some trail riding. After doing some extensive research, I found that Indiana does not have much to offer in off-road riding parks. Therefore, I am faced with the dilema of either investing in a dual sport kit or selling it and getting a factory dual sport bike. If I spend the $500 - $600 to convert it, I'll never get that money back out of it when I sell it. However, if I sell it and get the factory dual sport (street legal), I will lose a lot of the off-road capability. Has anyone compared any of the factory dual sports to the converted off-road bikes? Any recommendations on a factory ready (street legal) dual sport bike? If I was going to be on the road at least 75% of the time, I'd love to have a BMW F650. But that's a lot of cash outlay and it would be virtually useless off road.

-Linn

:thumbsup:

My personal opinion would be to get the dual sport kit for the xr. The factory d.s bikes are ok for general trail ridding but usually lacking in suspension for jumping. There are changes between the d.s and dirt bikes. for ex. the dr 400 d.s has a different carb,suspention and i think compression ratio than the dirt only dr400. You would probibly get better info at the dual sport forum if you did not already check there. There are other factory dual spots out hter like ktm and VOR but i dodnt know much about them.

My personal opinion would be to get the dual sport kit for the xr. The factory d.s bikes are ok for general trail ridding but usually lacking in suspension for jumping. There are changes between the d.s and dirt bikes. for ex. the dr 400 d.s has a different carb,suspention and i think compression ratio than the dirt only dr400. You would probibly get better info at the dual sport forum if you did not already check there. There are other factory dual spots out hter like ktm and VOR but i dodnt know much about them.

Yes the Suzuki DRZ400S dualsport has a different carb, and it has a different base gasket than the off road only model. However the suspension is EXACTLY the same as the offroad model. From the factory it's about 70% offroad and 30% street (once you lose the stock tires). If I was you I'd most likely get a d/s kit... but if you are looking at the factory d/s bikes the DRZ/S is the #1 rated factory dualsport and has a HUGE following :thumbsup:

If you read that fast, it says I would dis the XR. :thumbsup:

I have dualsport and I have xr..........Keep the XR!

neither one

you are looking for an egg laying wool milk pig

at home every dirtbike, except straight mx, has to be streetlegal

but we trailer the little ones and streetride only the big ones 600cc and up

you say 75% street? get a bigger bike

or get a little dirtbike plus something for the street

If I was going to be on the road at least 75% of the time, I'd love to have a BMW F650. But that's a lot of cash outlay and it would be virtually useless off road.

-Linn :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be so quick to condemn the F650, especially the "classic" models imported from 1996 to 2000. The classics have dual spark plugs, carbs, counterbalancers and exhaust headers and are virtually indestructible. I just sold a great condition '98 for $3,300 and the buyer couldn't be happier. If you want to see what they're capable of, go to F650.com and read some of the ride reports. Sure, they aren't single track bikes or jumpers by any stretch, but if you want to ride on paved and dirt roads all day long, and do an occasional bit of exploring, they are terrific. I just bought an XR400 to do some serious off-roading, but I still have a 2001 F650GS that does lots of things better than the XR. Larry

Sounds like dual sporting the XR might be the way to go. I do like the off-road capability. I'm not a real agressive rider so perfomance is not at the top of my list. I just want something that is reliable and fun to ride. I did get a chance to get this out on the road a little when I was out riding with a friend (country road - no cops). It handled fairly well for a dirt bike, but the seat got real uncomfortable after only a short ride. That may be something to get used to. I've looked at both the Baja Design and Trick Dual sport kits. The BD looks like it is custom made for each type of bike where the TDS looks pretty generic. I also don't care much for TDS's tronix box behind the headlight. However, the turn signals look fairly compact and out of the way. Any preferences? Would I get a better result if I piece-mealed this (buy individual components)? :thumbsup:

I have the rear turn signals mounted on the side of the fender.

The newer kits have the tail light / turn signal units that mount under the fender. I'd go that way.

See what you need in your state, then make a shopping list. Generally, it's cheaper to buy a kit than components, unless you know how to pick up cheap items here and there.

Do you know of any other kits besides the Baja Design or Trick Dual Sport that would be worth looking at?

Oh and by the way, I didn't mean to dis the BMW F650. I think BMW makes a wonderful machine. I would just have a hard time taking one of those bikes off road. I think it would be an excellent commuter bike (much more nimble that the cruiser bikes and more comfortable than a crotch rocket). :thumbsup:

The DR400S is slow, the suspension bottoms when you hit a cigarette butt and weighs a million pounds. I dumped a small fortune into mine. You have most of the bike there, just finish the job.

Convert your XR. I just put a Baja Designs kit on my DRZ400E, and it looks better than I thought it would, and comes with excellent instructions. You'll probably want to change the gearing on your XR. Also, the Baja kit doesn't include mirrors, but you can pick up an Acerbis unit for $15.00.

UFO makes a really sweet looking DS kit, but good luck getting one. I had one on order through my local dealer and the order kept getting cancelled by the distributor, &%$#@!.

I have an DRZ S and no, they aren't that bad. I even have one of the older ones from when they had different suspension on the S models. It is great on the street and dirt roads. Good on most trails and a bit of work on tight stuff. It is not a track machine though, neither is the E model.

As far as the XR400 dual sport question. If you have a bike that you like for off road and that will be where you primarily ride, then convert it. If you are looking for something that you can ride on the street for fun, not just getting to a riding area then consider a different bike with more power.

I have a 2003 XR400 with the Baja Designs kit, it works great! Not a long distance cruiser, but with a 16T c/s sprocket it will cruise 60-70 comfortably and still pulls OK offroad. It is great fun on rural paved roads but I wouldn't want to ride long distances on the freeway to get to dirt riding areas.

The Baja Designs kit is well designed and easy to install. I didn't like the big taillight and turn signals so I ran the BD stoplight hot wire to the stock dual filament taillight, and installed low profile turn signals. Looks much cleaner.

Be sure you can still legally do the conversion in your state before you buy the kit. Good luck!

The DR400S is slow, the suspension bottoms when you hit a cigarette butt and weighs a million pounds. I dumped a small fortune into mine. You have most of the bike there, just finish the job.

YOU my friend do NOT know what you're talking about :cry: As "Burned" has stated the front suspension is one of the best forks to ever be on a stock bike, you either weigh a ton or have an 00/01 model. Slow NO, heavy a little....the Honda XR650L is a heavy beast. Get yer facts strait :cry: