Sign in to follow this  

Work out and Ride

I can only get about 2 days out of the week of riding.Everynight i workout on my Total Gym. Does anyone have one of these and if so what is a good program that can get you in shape for riding? Thanks :thumbsup:

If you are short on time it is hard to beat running. best one hour workout you can do.

I agree with Aaron. A Total Gym alone will not get you in shape for riding. You need mostly cardio training, along with some strength training. It helps if the cardio training is something that you like, or else it just becomes a chore that you skip out of a lot.

My main cardio is swimming laps, with IMs and stroke work mixed in. Great fun. I cross train a couple days a week with running and light weights (endurance sets, not peak power sets). I also take a hand squisher exerciser thing (Gripmaster 4-button light tension) along with me on my runs to keep my hand strength up for MX.

What kinds of cardio do you like to do? Swimming, running, MTB, road bike, rowing, etc.? Like Aaron said, running is probably the most time efficient cardio that you can do if you're short on time. If you can alternate running on some days and Total Gym workouts on the others, that will definetly help your riding endurance. :thumbsup:

PS -- I just looked at your Bio, and it looks like you do running and swimming as well. So your post must be asking specifically for weight sets that help with riding. Sorry, my weight sets are tuned mostly for swimming, so I'm not much help. The only MX-specific stuff I do in the Gym is pushups :devil: How about it TT'ers, what are good weight sets for MX?

i work out and run 3 days a week the thing i work on the most are my legs i like to do lunges, running,leg press and squats. i think those help the most for your legs b/c you really need them to be strong through every part of the track. For the upper body i do alot of pectorial stuff,shoulders, and all that other stuff above the waiste for ex: butterfly's, bench press, peck deck,and burn out ( ill explain this b/c not alot of ppl are familair with it.)

burn out helps alot with endurence in case you didnt know you take the bar you bench with and start out with your max weight and do say 10 rep's then you take off the weight in even ammounts each time you do a rep then you and take off more and so on ans so on. after you get down to where its just the bar start adding the weight back on in the same ammounts you took them off..if that makes any sense

everyone has their own work out that works best for them you just experiemnt around and see what works and doesnt work. but you need to ride when you work out to make sure your doing the right things.

haha soo this is a good question.. lets see... if i was really motivated to work out and it was just for Mx riding i would work out my calfs, quads, my forearms, shoulders, and defiantly my lower back and stretch like a mug