Sign in to follow this  

02 Turning solutions

Can I maximize the turning with the Fastway 7 way adjustable link? Or do I need to add 20mm tiple clamps with the link? . If I do these mods will the bike turn as good as the 04 and 05?

I have an '03 dogbone on the rear and Topar 21mm offset clamps on my '02. Turns like my buddies '04.

1. Get the link 1st.

2. Then get a tall seat. It lets you get further forward. I race MX wit the tall seat but put the stocker on for trail rides. I'm 5'10"

3. Then get 20 or 22mm T-clamps.

This is the order that I feel makes the biggest difference.

You will probably be happy with 1 & 2. I went 3, 1, 2 and its a big difference over a stock 02. No more understeer (push). In fact I can push the fork tubes up in the clamps and get it to oversteer pretty easily.

BTW, I have a steering damper so headshake is a non-issue, never felt any at all.

Come on...all you need is the 20mm offset. You don't need all the other junk. Even the 03's and 04's need the offset.

I beleive the 05, Honda changed the offset so it's close to a 20mm offset.

The 20mm offsets is the easiest solution. It fixes everything. The only negative is that it's expensive.

The others solutions are just bandages.

1. Get the link 1st.

2. Then get a tall seat. It lets you get further forward. I race MX wit the tall seat but put the stocker on for trail rides. I'm 5'10"

3. Then get 20 or 22mm T-clamps.

This is the order that I feel makes the biggest difference.

You will probably be happy with 1 & 2. I went 3, 1, 2 and its a big difference over a stock 02. No more understeer (push). In fact I can push the fork tubes up in the clamps and get it to oversteer pretty easily.

BTW, I have a steering damper so headshake is a non-issue, never felt any at all.

the 20mm clamps make a huge difference but i did buy the storm link first and with it i did notice a slight difference. I would get rid of the storm now that i have the 20mm clamps but i am to lazy to take it off :thumbsup:

I put the 20mms on 1st. I still had a push. Tried all kinds of sag & fork heights and never found a happy ballance. The t-clamps made a difference but didn't fix it.

Then I put on a storm link. It gets it pretty close to 03 linkage geometry. Now the turning was getting pretty close to what I was looking for.

Then I put the tall seat on. Was trying to lessen the work on my knees cause I had a ACL replacement. Got a pleasant surprise when the turning got even better becuase I could sit further forward.

Some guys might be happy with 20mm t-clamps alone but I wasn't.Why not try the link 1st? They are about 1/3 the cost of t-clamps. Even honda did the "band aid" with the 03 linkage change. Lots of people are happy with their 03's and 04s without 20mm t-clamps.

Exactly, I was about to say the Fastway CRF link is a lot cheaper than new triple clamps. It's really ez to install and if you're still not happy then go with the triple clamps.

I love my link. The front end sticks way better. :devil:

I may go a step further and get 22mm offset triple clamps as well. 20mm with the link sounds a little extreme to me. :thumbsup:

1st off, if the 20mm offset didn't help you, you're too good for the bike. I suggest you get one of those YZ450F. I heard they turn a lot better.

You're the 1st to say that the 20mm offset wasn't enough.

The only other solution is a two-stroke or another brand. All Honda CR's have this issue.

I put the 20mms on 1st. I still had a push. Tried all kinds of sag & fork heights and never found a happy ballance. The t-clamps made a difference but didn't fix it.

Then I put on a storm link. It gets it pretty close to 03 linkage geometry. Now the turning was getting pretty close to what I was looking for.

Then I put the tall seat on. Was trying to lessen the work on my knees cause I had a ACL replacement. Got a pleasant surprise when the turning got even better becuase I could sit further forward.

Some guys might be happy with 20mm t-clamps alone but I wasn't.Why not try the link 1st? They are about 1/3 the cost of t-clamps. Even honda did the "band aid" with the 03 linkage change. Lots of people are happy with their 03's and 04s without 20mm t-clamps.

I got the storm link first it helped a bunch added the 20mm Emig clamps it now really turns I am very happy hope my 05 turns as good.

I used +4mm. It was the furthest away from stock (tightest turning - least stable).