Fully modified KXF, thinking of buying. Whats it worth???

I am thinking of buying this KXF, it belonged to a Pro Circuit supported rider and all the work was bone by Pro Circuit. Here is what the add reads.

2004 KAWASAKI KX250F, Fully Modified Pro Circuit Ivan Tadesco Replica KX250F. Only ridden for four months. Injury forces sale. $5000.00 worth of Pro Circuit mods. Too much to list. Bike is the fastest 250F on the track and the suspension is awesome.

The bike appears to be in great shape, having ridden it, he sure is right about fast, it's way over my head. Just a ball park of what you all feel the real value of the bike may be.

Thank you for your help,

Merlinn

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I noted he was a pro circuit supported rider (Sean Pagel, # 418).

The bike was run in about 6 or so races,and he is a top 5 finisher in the pro class in his races. Pro circuit built the bike and did all the mods. I can buy the bike in the mid 5K range, is that reasonable. What is a stock bike worth? Are real pro bikes worth much more than a stock one. Man this thing has just about every thing pro circuit makes on it... and runs like a scalded rabbit..

Thanks again for the help,

Merlinn

I agree with Westladog and Dirtmachine. When parts are modified to the moon, they may work better. At the same time there is a trade-off. The may work better but they may not last as long. You get more performance but for a cost, less longevity. You may have to rebuild more often and you may have to have replacement parts modified to fit the bike. I am thinking engine parts like the valve train, piston, crank, bearings, etc. I don't know what has been done to the bike? $5k does sound enticing. However, if it's a real PC bike from a pro, then you'd think it would already be sold to the "priviledged circle" of Pro Circuit riders. Just my two cents. When I buy a bike, I kinda lean toward the stockers. Then when I mod them, I know exactly what I have. Unless they can tell you exactly what's been done, then you are taking a chance buying the bike. Just my two cents.

I am trying to get the build sheet from pro circiut. I hope to get a clear picture of what is in it. I really do like it, but I do not know if anyone else will apreciate it as much when I am done with it. The cost makes any new stock 250f available give or take a few bucks. Man the bike feels light and nimble!!!

Thanks,

Merlinn

Man this thing has just about every thing pro circuit makes on it

And ae you going to be able to get the parts if you have to fix it down the road? another overlooked item would be the frame and suspension. a top level pro is going to hammer the triples and the frame is going to take a pounding that is not obviously apparent.

You can do a lot in 6 races (some races they throw out engines and frames after one day) If the bike is modded to the moon and he is selling it for only 5 grand and change, there is something wrong with the bike. He either beat it to hell or everything isn't modded. When you find out mostly what has been done to it we can talk some more. Honestly though, it's your money we're just trying to save you a headache down the road. By all means go and buy it if you want, just don't blame the bike when problems start popping up.

The better the bike/rider the harder it is usually ridden. Some of these Factory bikes HAVE to be rebuilt each race. Don't buy just a "name" bike. It may be great but I would check it out very carefully, especially the frame, cases,etc... The kind of used bike I like to buy would be one of those "wife's bike hardly ridden" ones. Even if you have to spend more money on the mods they are YOUR mods and the ones YOU need. I like #4's bike and it would be way cool but I would probably ride like crap on it. ?

This is what was done to the bike

PRO CIRCUIT REPLICA IVAN TEDESCO KX250F

MOTOR

Pro Circuit Head and Cylinder Modification (ported and flowed)

Split Cases Clean & Inspect

Pro Circuit Piston

Pro Circuit Backfire Screen Eliminator

Pro Circuit Water Pump/Oil Filter Cover

Pro Circuit Valve Spring Kit

Pro Circuit Engine Plug Kit

Denso Iridium Spark Plug

Pro Circuit Ti-4 GP Low System

SUSPENSION

Fork Re-valve and Setup

KYB Works Kit

Flush Fork Caps

Fork Springs

Machine and Install LSV

Machine and Install Fork Caps

Shock Re-valve and Setup

Shock Piston Kit

Shock Stop Plate

Shock Springs

Link System

ACCESSORIES

Pro Circuit Clutch Perch

Pro Circuit Steel Foot Pegs

Pro Circuit Top Triple Clamp

Pro Circuit Bottom Triple Clamp w/Stem

Pro Circuit Bar Mount Kit

Pro Circuit Aluminum Throttle Tube

Pro Circuit Team Graphics/Seat cover

Pro Circuit Team Plastic

Thank you all for the input, it is a really cool bike, but what is the premium that should be place on all this stuff???

Merlinn

If it was me I would stay away from the bike because the motor has been ported (no surprise since it is a race bike) that's gonna lead to worn out quicker. When those parts wear out your wallet will hurt. To answer your question, a stock bike is worth 4 grand, with all that, I would say around 6 grand.

Does it have one piece valves? Who was it ridden by? How many hours? These are crucial questions. The last few bikes I have bought, except for the KXF were ex pro bikes and they were the best bikes I have ever had. They are usually one of a fleet of a few that the rider has and they are usually very well cared for. Last bike I had was a fully TMR modified KX125, barely ridden, 6 months old for 3200 dollars.......if the bike is really clean and has been well cared for I would say don't be scared by the modifications.

Wise reply, often the bikes you think are worn out due to the rider caliber are just the opposite, usually you will find that they were cared for maticuously because they were ridden harder and a bike that doesn't finish doesn't make money.

One question is what of these mods are you doing anyway. the suspension mods are about 1000 by themselves. if you were doing them anyway it has a lot of value to you. The engine mods are risky but it's hard to turn down more power!! if you don't run it real hard it could last quite a while,, sounds like a good deal to me.

I own an 04 kx250f and will be getting rid of it in a couple of weeks. There are a lot of opinions on the valve problems that this bike has, but everybody can agree (except for the few that have not had problems yet) that it does and will have problems. Unless you can afford to purchase heads and valve train components like 2-stroke riders purchase premix and spark plugs, my advise is DO NOT BUY A KXF/RMZ 250 UNTIL KAWASAKI 100% FIXES THE DESIGN!!!!! If you must have a 250f BUY A YAMAHA!!!!!! My friends ride yzf's and have NEVER encountered the valve problems.

The choice is yours