Sign in to follow this  

I could be riding a KTM Duke 2 soon, need advice...

As the title suggests, I may be the owner of a Duke 2 soon; I know the purists will scoff at the Duke, preferring a converted bike but right now with my budget a Duke will fit in quite nicely.

Now one thing I was wondering was how those BBS wheels hold up, are they durable or are the spoked wheels the way to go? Just because I can sell the BBS wheels and then get the spoked kind from eastcoastwheels for 800 bones.

I am not a true hooligan like WILD FX, but while at school I do take some staircases to find good parking and I like to be able to take light drops like curbs and other little things without worrying about denting the rims. As always, your advice would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

The stock BBS wheels are a bit soft. Spoked wheels would be a good move but are not necessary if you dodge the big pot holes, keep at least 29lbs in the tires and stay on the road. If you stock wheels are dingless and straight, get a Keihin FCR41 carb instead.

Thanks everyone! I guess the carb mod is the one to do then. Burned, are there specific parts that need more attention than others or were you referring to the vibey ride of the Duke?

WILD I am not looking at nutcrackers bike as I do not have the kind of financial resources for it, one of the main reasons I am considering a Duke rather than converting something like a WR450.

Read this thread . I would change the bearing ASAP. I had my Duke less than a month before trashing the bearing. It is a relatively easy fix.

the bike rocks! :thumbsup: You can jet and adjust the stock carb to work much much better than the stock settings. I am pleased with the stock carb, but want to try a Duke with the FCR to see the improvement that offers.

On my Duke I have changed the main jet, removed the airbox lid, raised the needle one position, and adjusted the fuel screw. Didn't cost me a dime and the bike is an animal.

Also change to a 16T front sprocket which results in sick 2nd gear wheelies and better gearing for backing it in. The stock 17T works fine though. With the jetting mods wheelies are no prob with the 17T.

Mike

:devil:

MWDRZ, thanks for the heads up on the bearing; I am not a member but I will look into this further if I get one. I also figured there was the usual airbox mods as it seems to be done to every thumper out there, I will likely leave the FCR to later when I have more cash...cheap mods rule!

WILD FX, he was asking $8k so I assumed the going price would be a bit lower, but the Duke I am thinking of getting is in good shape (comes with an extra complete set of wheels) and will be in the $6-6500 range CDN which is my absolute max right now. If I could get a solid 2001 or newer XR 650R with a dual sport kit for under $3500 US I would rather have that as I could throw on brakes and wheels for around the same but I just want a damn bike already. Parking at UBC sucks ($6 a day now) and so do gas prices so a motorcycle will help with that. :thumbsup:

I'm still waiting for the 920 duke they're supposedly releasing soon. :thumbsup:

Ahhh ok .. well the duke is a good road bike and you will like the gobs of torque it has ..And that my help you or get you arestted :thumbsup:

--------------------

fx.jpg

I have a an 01 Duke and from the looks of your thread I would def. change the wheels to spokes, both of my wheels are bent from a pothole. I also spoke to www.mcwheel.com who repairs bent rims and he said he has repaired quite a few BBS wheels that they are real soft.

Other than that the bike is great but you will have to deal with stupid small problems like the main bearing, stripped drain plugs, gaskets leaking. Check www.ktmtalk.com for all the details on the Duke.