Sign in to follow this  

400 EXC vs. 450 EXC

Other than 50 cc... what is the difference between the 400 EXC and the 45 EXC???

Most frequently mentioned difference IMHO is the stroke of the motor. The 400 is a short stroke and therefore revs quicker and has more immediate throttle response. Check KTMtalk for lots more info. I do NOT have any experience with the 450s, but have read about this difference in many posts from riders who know both bikes well.

Are there suspension differences??

As far as my research has found. No, no difference. The 250/400/450/525 RFS share an amazing amount of parts between them.

They are identical in every way except for the motor differences. My 01 400E and 03 450E feel the same up to the midrange where the extra 50cc's become noticeable from there on up. Not a huge difference but very noticeable.

JimBo,

We have a 400 and a riding buddy has the 450. The 400 seems to make a little more friendly and usable power. It does not have the hit of the 450, but in exchange it seems to pull smoothly and continuously from the bottom end to where you would want to shift it anyway. On tight trails the smoother delivery of power is nice.

The 400 also seems to feels lighter. The scales say the weight the same, but the 400 just feels lighter and more nimble. Not sure why, maybe something to do with the rotating mass, flywheel weight etc.

The 450 is easier to wheelie at speed if you are into that. If you wick it on and hold it there, the front wheel will come up without much effort, although it can be unexpected and sudden. The 400 pulls hard and easily raises the front end, but in a more controlled or intentional manner.

If you buy either one new, switch out the front tire. If you test ride one, make sure the owner has changed out the front tire. The stock tire is really nervous and makes a great bike feel skittish, especially on rocks or loose junk.