Sign in to follow this  

front end push

I'm just getting back into riding dirt (did it as a kid)

I'm really comfortable with the back end flailing about, but when the front starts to push/slide I tighten up and nearly always feel the need to put a foot down.

What's the deal? how do I get comfortable? (Don't say more seat time :thumbsup::devil:)

Make sure your suspension is setup right. Proper sag, springs for your weight etc.

Then make sure you have a good tire. (new not brand, that's always a rathole)

Get more weight on the front (lean forward, or slide forward on seat)

Good luck,

what do you mean your front end push's slides? Well, either way check the suspension! I got my girl a ttr-125 and for the first few months she was soo timid she wouldn't go fast enough to keep her balance... so i took her to el marage is just like this 5 mile long lake bed that's flat and smooth.. well i got the result that i wanted she started to learn you need speed!! now if you are going around a corner try putting your foot out in front of the peg by the tire it gives you more balance and helps you move the bike around. and try to push it a lil try going faster around a corner or what ever is makin your front end push! good luck and have fun

XpReSS

the front starts to push/slide I tighten up and nearly always feel the need to put a foot down.

What's the deal? how do I get comfortable? (Don't say more seat time :thumbsup::devil:)

i don't think you want to get all that comfortable with the front-end pushing. how bout learning how to make it stop pushing? gentle progressive front brake use and weight forward up to the apex of the corner, then get on the gas coming out.

mw

make sure you have a good tire and run around 10 psi. too much air in the tire always made mine slide some, and it made it bounce off of everything. get as much weight on the front of the bike as possible. i dont really know what else to do other than that except practice. you'll learn how you can and cant do things as you ride more.

good luck.

Yeah, other than working on your riding technique and body position, tires and air pressure are good places to start troubleshooting your problem. Cone effect is the main reason why a bike turns when we lean or turn the bars, and higher pressure resists cone effect more than lower pressure.

You might also want to make sure your fork spring is right for your weight and riding style. A too-stiff spring (or incorrect rebound and compression settings) can make the front wheel push "into" the ground more than ride "over" it. A too-soft spring might create the same effect by pumping down as the front wheel meets resistance in a turn, thereby reducing your travel. When did you last release the excess air pressure in your front forks?

Hope you get a handle on it...