Sign in to follow this  

Radiator guards that allow for Radiator vents to stay

Does anyone know of a radiator guard or brace if I have to that will still allow the stock white radiator vents to stay on the bike. I find myself going through a lot of mud so I really need those vents. If anyone knows of some that allow that or of a vent that keeps mud off of the radiator please let me know.

Thanks

with the type of guards that is mounted on the back of the radiator you should have no problems.

radiator_guard.jpg

this is homemade but fit just like the ones you can buy.

i have the devols that cover the whole rad and ride alot of mud, i put my stock louvers back on. All you need to do is grind half of the pin (four of them) flat lengthwise (on the radiator side of the pin, and reinstall, no-one will ever know you did it. if someone can host a pic i have one. I had works connection braces, seemed like a joke to me, no front protection at all, i know my rads are pretty dinged on the front so i was happy to have something to stop the odd branch that should have got out of my way. Just my .02, JR

Your frame looks like its about sawed in half. Hope thats a sticker for protection I'm seeing. Your last worry will be your radiators if your frame cracks in half. LOL :thumbsup:

I also saw that marking on the frame. Mine has a bit of one not quite as distinct. what can you do to prevent that?

although not a perfect protection, I bought two 12" pices of small angle aluminum $1 each, and siliconed it to the outside of the core. It keeps from bowing in the rad on a crash. I also did it on my 03 yz and it worked good. its cheap, works good and easy to install. If you want a pic I will get ya one.

Clear backgrounds cut to cover that area works great. I use the N-style clear. its thick and it totally stops it from happening. :thumbsup:

Clear backgrounds cut to cover that area works great. I use the N-style clear. its thick and it totally stops it from happening. :cry:

Same here. You can also trim the plastic off that's rubbing on the frame.

don't worry I have protection film on the frame. I have got it from the hotwheels graphic kit that is installed.

Just this week when I was out riding, I offered a guy with a CRF450R a set of my Radiator guards, he wasn't sure if it was nessesary, 1 hour later he had a twisted radiator with a leak, now he want to buy my radiator guards :cry: :cry:

That sucks for him, but I have the same worries. I need to get some kind of brace. I just put on a brand new radiator left side. First day out crashed on the left side. Thankfully nothing happened, but scared the crap out of me. I was worried more about the radiator that myself while flying through the air.

Works Connections bolt on and work perfectly with the louvers without modification.

BTW, door/window insulation foam strips make great frame protectors.

The works connection braces are great. For about $50 I've been saved from crushing at least 3 radiators in the last 2 months.

I'm with ya redneck... the WC setup (or something) has saved my rads.