Sign in to follow this  

XR 4 and Fork Set Up

Is there a sag adjustment for the forks? I have the stock springs and I weigh about 185 lbs without equipment. I ask because I changed the fork oil today with the recommended 5 wt. When I took the caps off, I am used to the caps popping off and shooting across the room if you are not careful. I am used to working on sport bikes. Do I need to preload them? Is the stock fork oil level fine? I was thinking raising it to slow down the rebound. Thanks for the info.

Justin

There are a lot of forums on this subject, do a search. For your weight, the stock level should be ok, but it is all about personal preference. You can use weights from 2.5 to 10 to make it stiffer, and add oil through the air bleeders as needed. If it was ok before the change keep it stock level and play with the clickers. My 2c worth. :thumbsup:

Raising the oil level doesn't effect rebound. It decreases the air space/cushion and effects bottoming resistance. I'd stay with stock levels if you weren't having bottoming problems before.

These forks don't have a separate spring seat. I know in the manual it may show one but there's not one in there. The seat is the bottom of the fork cap and you have to maintain it's distance on the rodend or you change the amount of clicker adjustment you have. If you want to add preload, that can be done with a PVC spacer cut to your desired length.

• Like 1