Sign in to follow this  

Steering stem/stupid quad question

I need to tear my stem apart and grease it. I have the manual with a schematic but cant find a step-by-step anywhere. Anybody know if there is one out there? I am of questionable mechanical ability at times and need some kind of direction...

Quad question: I adjusted the thumb throttle screw on an LTZ 400 (at least its got a DRZ motor) and apparently didnt tighten it up enough...it fell out. Can anybody tell me what bold and nut size. I could go to a dealer and wait to long/pay to much, but I can go to Home Depot if I can find out the sizes.

Thanks!

The Z400 forum is probably a better place to post these questions? I'm not sure, but your quad most likely does not have a similar head bearing system as a DRZ (my 300ex doesn't), There's nothing to grease, it's just a sealed bearing held in a bearing block (holder thingy) on top and another between the A-arms on the bottom, not exposed repackable bearings in a race with seals.

Take your thumb throttle off, disconnect the cable (at the throttle), take the throttle to the hardware store and try different bolts, cheap easy fix, no dealer required.

Mike -

The steering stem question was for a motorcycle, right? I don't think you will find a step by step "cookbook" procedure to follow in a book. Manuals assume the user has some mechanical ability. I'm sure there are step by step procedures posted here if you search. My recommendation is remove the wheel, fender and fork legs. The handlebars can just be removed and moved out of the way. Loosen the top nut before you disassemble. The only "trick" is to correctly adjust the bearing preload on reassembly. The manual tells how to do that plus instructions here. You have to "feel" the preload with the top nut tight as the top nut changes the preload set by the lower adjuster. The lower adjuster will be about a 1/4 turn loose and the top nut will take out the slack.

My recommendation is remove the wheel, fender and fork legs. The handlebars can just be removed and moved out of the way. Loosen the top nut before you disassemble. The only "trick" is to correctly adjust the bearing preload on reassembly.

That is exactly what I was looking for.Yes, this is for my DRZ. I just noticed yesterday it was sticking a little when on a crate.

Ill post the quad questin on the appropriate forum too. In no hurry for this bolt so I can avoid tearing the throttle off for now...

Thanks!

Oops, thought both questions were for the quad :devil:. When you get that bolt for the thumb throttle get a locking nut as well to tighten against the throttle housing, or the bolt will just fall out again :thumbsup:.

Mike -