Sign in to follow this  

heads up to out of state Utah riders

Just returned from Moab. Old law, if your stay in Utah was shorter than 14 days, you were not required to register your bike. As of July 1 2004 that has changed, you must register your bike. Check this link for further details http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/ohv/default.htm

This only comes into play if your state doesn't have a recip agreement with Utah, just a heads up. The Rangers seem to be concentrating on getting the word out. Yes, Colorado has a recip. the list of states is at that link above.

Thanks for the heads up. Good thing I don't ride my sled in Utah (actually, too bad it doesn't dump snow in Moab during the winter months)! How fun would Slick Rock trail be covered in snow? On snowmobiles, of course. :thumbsup:

Lemme tell ya something... Utah is the most over-taxed state on the planet. Wanna piss beside the highway? You need to be licensed (taxed) to do it. :thumbsup:

Wanna provide grass cutting consultation services? Need a license.

Wanna buy your kid an off-road bike and take him riding? He (not you) needs to pass a state issued test (license) to do so. Fork that I say - this is the wild west!

Take my uncle and his home building business that he's operated for many decades. He's not licensed, operates openly outside the law (he's not a GC and builds way beyond the owner-builder allowance), yet has never had a problem.

It's all about the $ here.

He (not you) needs to pass a state issued test (license)

That had me very concerned. My son is 13, has ridden all over the West and Mexico, knows how to stay on the trail, trail courtesy, right of way rules etc. He can ride as well! last trip alone these trails, Poison Spider, Hell's Revenge, Metal Masher, Golden Bar, Golden Spike, Lockhart Basin, Porcupine Rim. But I digress. Utah won't force him (me actually) to miss a day of school, go all the way to Green River to take the test, as long as our stays are shorter that 14 days. Works for me. :thumbsup:

Lemme tell ya something... Utah is the most over-taxed state on the planet. Wanna piss beside the highway? You need to be licensed (taxed) to do it. :thumbsup:

Wanna provide grass cutting consultation services? Need a license.

Wanna buy your kid an off-road bike and take him riding? He (not you) needs to pass a state issued test (license) to do so. Fork that I say - this is the wild west!

Take my uncle and his home building business that he's operated for many decades. He's not licensed, operates openly outside the law (he's not a GC and builds way beyond the owner-builder allowance), yet has never had a problem.

It's all about the $ here.

I couldn't agree more!! This place is ridiculous. They sent me a bill for just over $100 for an off-road sticker. I went to Idaho and bought one for 10 bucks. I actually have only ridden on tracks here so I am not too worried about being caught. In Idaho I do ride trails and sand dunes (though that may change since those idiots at St. Anthony now require flags on bikes. That is just unacceptable for me. I will just stop going there and they can suck it!!) Anywhooo...

Utah's taxes are out of control... damn republicans..wait a minute...what the...GRRRRR!! I'm moving back to Arizona..

...since those idiots at St. Anthony now require flags on bikes.

When did they change that rule?! :thumbsup:

I was there in May and flags were only required on ATV's and sand rails. :awww:

**CORRECTION** After having read the park rules HERE I seem to recall the requirement for whipflags on all OHV's (including motorcycles.) However, they didn't appear to be enforcing it at the time. Are they actively enforcing that rule now?

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, DRZFamily... :devil:

They decided to enforce that rule sometime this summer. I was there a few weeks ago and they were enforcing the flags-on-bikes rule. I didn't get caught but some people parked by us got pulled over and were only saved from a ticket by the ranger getting called away to some accident. (not that an accident is a good thing...but it helped them out)

...Take my uncle and his home building business that he's operated for many decades. He's not licensed, operates openly outside the law (he's not a GC and builds way beyond the owner-builder allowance), yet has never had a problem.

That's funny...seems like we must live in different states or something. I love it here. As for the license requirements they are just there to protect consumers and businesses alike from people hi-jacking a profession where they have no right being. :cry: I say "buyer beware" of dealing with businesses that are operating w/o a license. Unlicensed=uninsured=you're screwed.

Doug

I don't think you guys know how good we have it here in Utah. I moved here from Georgia where you can't ride anywhere. There isn't any fees in GA... but there also isn't anywhere to ride. You can't ride on forest service roads like you can here in UT, without getting a huge fine. The trail systems are so far and few between in GA that when you get to them they are totally overused and abused. I can remember riding several times on the Paiute Trail and never seeing another person all day....not too many places in the country where you could do that. Or we could have it like they do in California where the tree hugger government decides when and where you can ride your "dirty red sticker" off-road bike. Oh, and how many small UT towns allow us to ride our off-road bike right through town to get to the trail or for gas and food. Try that in some other states and see what you get. Just a thought guys....the grass isn't always greener

I don't think you guys know how good we have it here in Utah. ...

I agree Nate. I lived in the bay area for many years and talk about restrictions, paying out the nose and nowhere to ride. Not to mention there was they greatest concentration of green nazis.

I have yet to find a better OHV state for diversity and availability. We have it all here and all year around.

mx

If I may submit for your approval the great state of Arizona. $13 buys on OHV plate/sticker that does not expire. Plenty of riding areas, though most are about an hour away from where I lived in Chandler. There are at least 6 tracks within an hour and you can ride all year long, just a little hot in the summer so you go early or late. I lived there for nine years, rode all over the place from Flagstaff (cool in summer) to Tucson and was never one single time approached, harrassed or talked to by an officer or ranger about where I was riding or if I had an OHV sticker.

Arizona is the greatest. I am moving back there next summer and I can't wait. Not that I don't like Utah, but all that snow and cold last winter was more than I could take. Having to drive all the way to Mesquite to ride on a track is just a little too far.

Agreed!...This (AZ) is the best state for year-round riding, in the country. You can now register a bike, and get a street legal plate, without inspection. The DMV has stated that the "legality" of the bike is between the owner, and the law. So, as long as you have the required equipment (head-light, brake-light, mirror, and electric horn), all is fine. This state "rocks"!

This (AZ) is the best state for year-round riding,

Taking a vacation down toward Tucson then down towards Tombstone. Been to Tucson a lot and looks like a great place to ride, is it worth taking the bikes down around Tombstone?

Haven't ridden the Southern part of the state at all...Sorry I can't help you there, but I would bet there is some good terrain down there...