Sign in to follow this  

Michelin S12 Tyre - not happy

Paid $120 Aus for Michelin S12 90/90 /21 front yesterday and rode it today. It brakes really really well in a straight line but is loose and squirmish in flat corners wriggling and understeering all over the shop. I played with tyre pressures and at 13 psi its better than 15 but still ordinary. The stock Michelin which is considerably cheaper is ten times the tyre. Not happy , but would like to hear what others thought of the S12.

I have it on my 450f and had it on my 250f. I thought the traction was pretty good good. I actually just replaced it on the 250f yesterday because I chunked off a good 1/3 of the knobs. I went with the MS2. I'll let you know how that goes.

Usually the only tire I run but it's not a good hard pack tire, it works best in wet conditions. I also really like the wear time, I also run the big bike tire on my 250F, the 125 tire size seems to chunk to fast. Just my opinion, I ride in the woods of N.E Pennsylvania.

Unless you're only riding in soft stuff, don't put the S12 (soft terrain tire) on the FRONT. The S12 works well on the BACK in most conditions. Go with a medium-to-soft terrain front to handle hard & soft stuff.

One tire won't do the job for all terrain on the FRONT (the back is easier to adapt), you just have to pick the best FRONT tire suited for your riding condition. I always want my front to stick well, the back can slide a little (that's OK with me) - I've been running the Michelin MS2 on the front (MS=medium/soft terrain), it's good on medium & soft terrain as expected but a little squirrelly on the hard pack, loose dry stuff on turns.

Strange how you mates spell it as "tyre" while us Americans use "tire"... :devil::thumbsup:

The Michellins are good tires in the correct terrain. Get out of that designed limits of the tires and they just dont work.

The front tire that I have had the best results on the 426 with is the 742 Dunlop. It just plain works on everything.

The Michellins are good tires in the correct terrain. Get out of that designed limits of the tires and they just dont work.

The tire that I have had the best results on the 426 with is the 742 Dunlop. It just plain works on everything.

We need to be specific with either FRONT or BACK tire. I find the back wheel can adapt to different tires & patterns better than the front, the front is much more picky since it does the steering.

The S12 has become my favorite tire. Not that great on the hard stuff but in woods and mud it works well for me.

The S12 front is great in muddy or sandy type terrain but doesn't work well on dry hard stuff.

The M12 front is better on hardpack and will cross over pretty good into some mud and sand if needed.

The S12 rear works good everywhere.

(IMHO)

The S12 front is great in muddy or sandy type terrain but doesn't work well on dry hard stuff.

The M12 front is better on hardpack and will cross over pretty good into some mud and sand if needed.

The S12 rear works good everywhere.

(IMHO)

My feelings exactly.

I run the MS2 front and rear, but we have mostly sand tracks here on the coast. Tire performs well in sandy red dirt but I run higher psi, around 15 lbs, for the harder surface. We typically run low psi, around 11 lbs., for the sandy tracks.

The big question is where do you typically ride, what type of soil, track or woods? You MUST match the front to the terrain. I agree with everyone else that the back can be dealt with easier.

I like the S12 on the front and rear for all terrain including the rocky mountains. I use 11lbs in the front for rock and 10lbs for sand.

I was riding on a mixture of surfaces on my practice area, but it all errs on the side of medium pack, ive got a soft loamy race on sunday and will give an update then. If it is good in the loam its definitly a limited purpose tyre. Ive got a lot of feel for tyres, having raced MTB for the last twelve years, you pick up on a lot of the small variances, but this tyres mid corner instability on medium / medium soft terraind would be noticable to most people. Im just hoping its one of those tyres that has instability but doesnt just let go. If I dont post a reply by Sun night, you will know its one that lets go.