Sign in to follow this  

How many have NOT had valve problems?

I'm new to the CRF and just trying to get a feel for this problem. How many of you have not had problems and how many hours are on your bike? I've also heard talk that reducing the rev limiter to 9500 rpm will help with valve longevity. Does any one know how this is accomplished? I'm not the type who hits the rev limiter much. Except maybe panic revs. Kind of a short shift rider. Will this help me also? Just trying to see what I'm in for here. I came off of a 01' 426 and never had to touch the valves!

No problems here on an 04 w/ @ 120 hrs. :devil::thumbsup:

The rights are still on stock setting and the lefts are under .001, which is within spec.

I also short shift and 98% trailride; I hardly ever hit the rev limiter.

no problems here but i had erric gorr port the head and install KW valves and springs before i rode it. i did have to adjust one of the intake valves after ~20hrs but i was told that may be normal. no adjustments since.

No valve movement original 02 head and valves w/about 400 hours on it only had to adjust valves once in all that time and that was an exhaust that was slightly loose.At 400 hours installed 04 cylinder head and all new stock valves and springs now have over 575 hours on machine total ,175 on new head.I only installed the new head not because of valve recession but because everyone on this board is so freaked out over "the valve issue" that and I really wanted the smooth right side of the head w/o the hole for the manual decomp.cheers

No problems here. Bike is an 03' with desert and track riding done almost every weekend from October to April (So Cal winter riding) and still going strong. Wow, now that I've read what I typed, maybe I should check the valves. :thumbsup:

I bought a used 02 3 months ago. Previous owner didn't mention any valve issues, and didn't seem to know about the problems that so many have had. After reading the many postings I am a little paranoid.

No problems here....yet, but I only have about 5 hours on it and I am not sure how many hours the previous owner had on it. He raced it 4 times.

150 hours and no problems. I think the main cause of valve issues is dirt getting past the air filter, so just be good about regular filter changes and being careful seating the filter. I like to use the filter rim grease as an extra precaution. :thumbsup:

Had an 03, 300 hours, no adjustments, no issues.

Have an 04, 150 hours, no adjustments, no issues.

woods rider, usually ride in mid rpms, about 50-60 hrs on bike, checked valves about a month ago. No probs yet. Also asked owner at a local track and a local cycle machine shop if they had many riders with valve probs, said he never heard of them.

No problems here 2003 450 80 hours, just put on a big bore kit, I hit the rev limiter all the time, and my valves haven't moved since new. I did notice right when I got my bike that some dirt was getting past the filter. I put on an 04 airbox, and haven't had a problem since.

I also came off of a 2001 426, what a great bike, hit the rev limiter daily on that bike, I really had more faith in my 426 though... what a great bike, too bad felt like it weighed the same as an xr650! You will love the crf way more power, control, and lighter.

DVM,

I don't know how to lower your rev limiter, but in my opinion being a shortshifter does help. Think about it. Compare how you ride a 250F and a 450F. Which motor gets the most stress?

In answer to your question, I raced HareScrambles and mx ,plus a lot of riding in deep sand, for 2 and 1/2 years with my 02. After 1 and 1/2 years my intake valves just barely went out of specs. I consider that normal maintainance. I did a valve job, and had no further problems. I've had my 04 since January with no problems.

IMHO, this valve issue is overrated. Stay diligent with your oil and airfilter and check your valves every 6 months or so. If you have a "screamer" riding style ( and does ANY normal mortal routinely scream a 450??!?) check them more often.

My 2003 had well over 100 hours on the stock head setup with no adjustments and was still in spec. I had the head ported, added a cam, and went back with NEW oem valves and RHC valve springs. No adjustments since then but I did break a valve spring which harmed nothing (whew!) and they replaced the spring of course for free. Great service and has been running perfect ever since (until I broke my femur!) :thumbsup:

The thing people need to remember is, is when people have problems with they’re CRF's they do a Google search and the first thing that pops up is thumpertalk. Then they throw a new thread up saying &%$#@! is wrong with my valves. No one posts a thread saying hey my valves are great and if everyone did do that I'm sure it would out weigh the people that do have problems much more.

WOW! More positive comments than I expected. That eases my mind somewhat. Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

I bought my '02 a few weeks ago from a freind who's pretty picky about maintenance. He said that he did a top-end job (piston, rings, etc) about 15-20 hrs ago and it still had the stock shims. He said everything was OK, but to be safe I popped the valve cover off and checked myself. Exhaust was fine and intake was a "loose" .005, so I simply buttoned it back up and continued riding. The bike starts easily within one or two kicks, everytime, and the piston he took out looked like new, so I'm not losing any sleep. Of course, now that I'm bragging about the stone reliablilty, I'll have arod sticking out the side by Monday... :thumbsup: