Sign in to follow this  

Air Box Side Panel Quick Releases

Just curious if anyone has a suggestion on how to remove the quick relases from the panel without ruining the plastic. I bought new plastic and wanted to save the old panel. Is my best bet to just purchase new quick releases from the dealer?

TIA

Those fasteners are not available from the dealer :thumbsup::devil: It's the cover or nothing. But they are basicly just Duz 1/4 turn fasteners, which can be had from your better race car supply houses or catalogs.

As I've never removed them from the OEM plastic.. I'll leave that to some one who has.

As bronco say, they're made by Dzus and they're available from bike racing shops as they're used as quick release fixings to attach race fairings to track bikes.

I can't check my bike 'cause it ain't here but Dzus fasteners are generally held onto the panel by a thin plastic washer that just pulls off the back of the fastener.

Cheers

Ian

The lock washers are removed with needle nose plyers and then putted back with no issues. I removed mine when I painted my side panels good as new. Just be reasonable dont force the hell out of it weegle it a bit. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at the panels on the table as I walked out the door this morning and the thought jumped in my head so I posed the question. I figured the answer would be pliers and force. I may still try to find an extra set locally. Thanks for saving me from a trip to the dealer.

Frank

You can just yank the washer off with needle nose pliers. They are very sturdy. You should not worry about having a replacement set. I've had mine off/on twice.