Sign in to follow this  

One more reason to like Rocket Raceway!

Taken straight from their web site:

KISS THE QUADS GOOD-BYE

We are sorry to say we are finishing out the 04

practice/race season, BIKES ONLY. NO QUADS. It [is] clear that our primary revenue is going to be bikes (in the beginning we [had] hoped to get a big quad turn out but it never happened) That being said we feel we owe our bike riders the best conditions we can. As you all must know quads and bikes don't mix, and when they share a track on the same day nobody's happy. So until we see a real demand for quad riding/racing at Rocket we will remain

BIKES ONLY.

--

thank the lord.

and Mark & Shelly, of course. :thumbsup:

that being said, my knee injury (i tore some cartlidge) seems to be healing quickly and i'm considering the rocket race on the 26th .. which is also my birthday. :devil:

How long does it take you guys to get up there from the DC area? Is it a one day trip or do you usually end up staying over night?

Cheers,

Kristina

Its about 1:15 from Hagerstown, so add that to how ever long it takes you to get to Hagerstown (rt 81). I just drive up for the day (its just over 2 hours for me).

You going to join us on 10/2?

Darryl

How is it for beginners? We're talking the only time I've ridden a motorcycle was just this weekend when I test rode my KX100 before I bought it. Talk about FUN!!

I don't want to hold anyone back so if there's an open area where I can practice riding w/o boring anyone, I'll consider going up. :thumbsup:

rocket is fine for beginners. there's a small beginner-track you can cruise around on until you get a feel for your bike, and the main track is real big and wide so there's plenty of room. if somebody is coming up on you just hold your line or drift slowly outside if there is time to. there are some woods trails too, but those are probably more difficult for a newbie to get through than the mx track would be. it's about as easy a place to start as any.

What Spotted said. :thumbsup:

Actually, the one comment I will make is that there are parts of the woods trail that a beginner would have no problem on, like the part Spotted made, plus the first 1/2 mile or so that a bunch of us TT'ers made. You can have some fun in those sections without any big hill climbs and the trees are space wide enough apart that you don't have to worry about barkbusters.

Darryl

Oh good, thanks! Sounds like a plan then. By any chance, do you know if any women will be coming? Um, not that I wouldn't like you guys or anything but the riding mentality is "differen't", if you know what I mean. :thumbsup:

yeah, well, at least I'm riding this weekend. Unlike you being home doing house work with your gimpy leg...

Darryl

Oh yeah, I saw they were trashing the quads again finally!

WOOHOO!!

Hmm...I work October 2nd.

THe race? Neh - I dunno. I can barely ride as it is, let alone RACE!

19th? Anyone?

3rd? Anyone?

on the 26th i will be a very youthful and exuberant 29! - not quite old enough yet, although i'm sure i could wiggle my way into the class if i asked politely.

maybe VET C and 450 C?

this is all assuming my knee is good by then. so far it's getting better pretty fast. i've been doing some very light riding to keep a feel for the bike and get it some exercise while i'm waiting. you hear that darryl? even with my gimp leg i'm still riding more often than you! :thumbsup:

anyways, if so, it'll be my first race on the new FO-50. i wanted it to be at budds but.. whatever! rocket is just as much a big-bike track as budds is.

Man I feel pretty bad. Rocket has sponsored my site from the beginning when it was nothing but a geocities site and have been the best sponsor you could ask for. But I still havent been to rocket. Once I get my 05 yzf im going on a road trip. First, I will do a little first time track practice at BD (blue diamond) and get my suspension dialed in a little. Then to Rocket, then to Rausch, then to the Landing. Cant wait! Either end of 2004 or beginning of 2005 I will have ridin at rocket. I have to!

You got a gimpy leg too?!?!

I haven't ridden yet since my knee surgery, but I did replace my roof and take care of several other projects that were overdue. I'm ready to get my but back on the seat!!

How'd you torque your knee? You didn't pull a "McNeil" up at T.M. did you? :thumbsup:

nope. it was a non-chrash injury. i was racing around with dan and jamie and all of a sudden i couldn't lift myself to stand on the pegs with my left leg. just before i noticed it i had blasted through this really soft sandy left hander, jamie was right behind me so i was pushing it, and i'm guessing that i probably laid the bike over real low and had my foot dragging and it got yanked back.

i honestly don't remember the moment of injury. all i know is all of a sudden my knee hurt pretty bad when i flexed my leg muscles to sit or stand up, or turn my leg in or out.

turns out i tore some cartlidge in my knee, the outer miniscus(?), and the doc told me last week to give it 6 weeks and if it needs surgery it will be to trim off any protruding scar tissue. it's already starting to feel decent so i think i will be riding regularly in the next week or two.

i'm already riding irregularly. :thumbsup:

this bike ownz btw. :devil:

www.SilkSpinner.com

Marley man - you may want to consider a brace.

When I tore my ACL, my meniscus went bye-bye too, and that caused some SEVERE stabbing pains in the knee.

It won't ever get better - but it may get to where it does not bother you TOO much, but it won't completely heal.

As long as you didn't tear any ligaments, you should be OK, but you may want to consider a brace like I got!

I've had my left leg flat out YANKED HARD already, to absolutely no pain in the knee, and I chalk it up to the brace.

Yup! - I had my knee surgery a month ago, and I've already got a set of EVS Web braces. I thought I had only tweaked my knee back in June, but the lack of mobility due to my torn meniscus required surgery (DAMMIT!!) - it will never be the same. It angers me that it happened in a low speed spill where my body NEVER EVEN HIT THE GROUND! My crappy $20 kneepads are goin' in the trash - all they were good for were preventing scrapes. I'd be more upset about wrecking a good set of riding pants than the scrape, but I'd give 100 pair of riding pants to get my knee back :thumbsup:

i did some riding yesterday and it's definitely getting better, or at least stronger. by the end of my ride i was actually hitting a section of doubles regularly. as long as i stay smooth i can ride pretty fast, but my mind is always partly concentrating on my knee, which really sucks because i can't get into any kind of zone to go really fast.

dethwsh, which kind of brace do you use? i'd already decided i should definitely be wearing one from now on, and i know the EVS is supposed to be pretty good, but the asterisk is a couple hundred dollars more so i was wondering is it really that much better than the EVS? the EVS i was looking at was around $350 and i think the asterisk is like $500+.

do they come as a set of 2 (left and right)?