Sign in to follow this  

Sprain Heal Time

I wadded myself up ridding about 4 weeks ago and hurt some unknown item in my chest that made me breath really shallow and controlled for about a week -- deep breath bad. The next weekend I clipped a tree with the bars and managed what seemed to be a minor wrist sprain. I've been lucky over the years and stayed mostly healthy.

My question is this: What the heck is the expected heal time for a wrist sprain? I'm still feeling both injuries and it's been more than 3 weeks for both. I'm most perplexed by the wrist. It's only one very specific movement that hurts. For 90% of the day, I don't even notice it. But, if I do exactly the wrong movement, it almost causes tears to spontaneously erupt.

No, I didn't go to the doctor. It really just didn't seem worth the trip. Also, I've kept my normal activities of working out and riding with modifications to try to baby the hurt areas. Usually, activity seems to speed the healing up. In this case, I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing more harm.

Anyway, I just ask because it's been a while (thankfully) since I've had to deal with any lingering injuries.

I sprained my wrist pretty good about 6 weeks ago. In the 4th week the pain subsided and I wore an ACE wrap to workout/ride for the following 2 weeks after.

Well I believe in the ol TV and BEER for 2 weeks method of healing...Now if you talk to my day he would tell you one of 2 things...

"Thats nothing..I have had bigger bites on the end of my johnson that that"

or

"Hell Honey, the boy isnt even bleeding, hes fine!"

The most anyone will be able to tell you about healing time is "it depends." Depends on the injury, your diet, and how fast you naturaly heal.

I've dealt with similar injuries in my boxing/kickboxing days. Things that helped me heal faster were having my hands/wrists propperly wrapped. This gives additional support and makes it tougher to re-injure. I don't know if I would be able to ride like that though.

I have also had success with a dietary supplemtent called MRM Joint Performance. I got it in the natural food section at the grocery. It was reccommended by one of the older fellers I used to spar with. It seems to reduce my injury recovery time by about a third.

Of course take this for what it's worth. I'm still nursing a twisted knee from 3 weeks ago.

Have you considered the possibility that you may have actually fractured your wrist. Breaks come in all shapes and sizes. You have lots of tiny bones in the wrist area. One is the size of a large pea. When they break, they affect the many nerves running through that area.

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and go have that Xray. Go to a walk-in clinic to save on costs or just see your regular orthopedist if you have one. ER visits are big $$$.

Listen to your body. It is telling you something isn't right. :thumbsup:

I agree with the above post to see your Dr... there's a common fx that occurs with the metacarpals in the wrist, commonly called a 'boxer's fx' I think, that occurs when you fall on a extended hand... if your wrist hurts when you put it in extension or pressure on it in extension (back of the hand bending backwards towards your wrist, like a waiter carrying a tray) that could be this fx. Its a pain, sometimes requires surgery, and if not treated early will LIKELY require surgery down the road.

:thumbsup:

If you feel it's taking to long to heal go to the doctor, you could have tendon or ligamint damage and the longer you wait may only cause more damage!!. Having had simalar injuries I've made the mistake of avoiding the doctor and the result was longer healing time and higher medical costs!!. Good luck. :thumbsup:

I think, that occurs when you fall on a extended hand... if your wrist hurts when you put it in extension or pressure on it in extension (back of the hand bending backwards towards your wrist, like a waiter carrying a tray) that could be this fx. Its a pain, sometimes requires surgery, and if not treated early will LIKELY require surgery down the road.

Seeing as you have perfectly described my problem, I'm going to book a trip to the doctor. I think I'll go Orthopedic just to be safe. They seem to catch more than the band-aid doctors.

As mentioned, I probably should have gone already. I've just gotten turned off the the general practice guys, so I tend to avoid going for what seems minor. Maybe I've just seen the wrong ones.

Thanks.

I think, that occurs when you fall on a extended hand... if your wrist hurts when you put it in extension or pressure on it in extension (back of the hand bending backwards towards your wrist, like a waiter carrying a tray) that could be this fx. Its a pain, sometimes requires surgery, and if not treated early will LIKELY require surgery down the road.

Seeing as you have perfectly described my problem, I'm going to book a trip to the doctor. I think I'll go Orthopedic just to be safe. They seem to catch more than the band-aid doctors.

As mentioned, I probably should have gone already. I've just gotten turned off the the general practice guys, so I tend to avoid going for what seems minor. Maybe I've just seen the wrong ones.

Thanks.

If you've got good insurance definately find a Ortho doc that specializes in sports medicine & rehbilitation... good luck & keep us posted! :devil:

Sounds like he may have fractured a carpal bone in his hand. I have broken two of these bones, the most severe being the scaphoid. I did not even know it was broken, just thought it was a sprain, and continued to do normal daily activities. If I happened to bend my wrist the wrong way I would be in tremendous pain.

You need to go to a good doctor and have him take some x-rays. A good doctor will know it's broken by the look on your face when he bends it a certain way.

BTW(like Big Desto said), if it is broken or fractured it takes a very, very long time to heal. If it does not heal correctly you could run the risk of loss of proper movement in that hand forever. I have attached a link of more info:

Carpal Fracture

I've seen plenty of crappy x-rays from those "walk-in clinics"....don't even waste your money there. Go see an orthopedic MD...they have good x-ray equipment and good film/screen combos.

The small carpal bones of your wrist, as well as the small tarsal bones of your foot,have a very subtle blood supply, this is why healing is a slow process for these injuries.

One thing you can do to try to speed healing is: provided you have a double sink in your kitchen...one side ice water, one side hot water....place wrist in cold water for 3-5 minutes, then switch to the hot water side for the same. Continue this cycle 4-5 times. Always start and stop with the ice water. You dont want to do this treatment on a fresh injury...3 weeks old injury is fine. Its worth a try and wont cost you anything.

Get well soon! :thumbsup: