Sign in to follow this  

New to DR 650

Well, after much searching, I finally found an 05 DR 650. Not many dual sports in my area of Concord, MA.

So, being new to the DR realm of things, I have a few questions. The bike will be used about 50/50 off/on road. First question is suspension. What combinations of fork springs/oil are you guys running? I weigh 225# and the front is definitely soft. As for a rear spring, any reccommendations?

So far the bike has 25 miles on it, so the mods will begin after a few more miles are logged.

Feel free to offer any other words of wisdom, as it has been about 15 years since I have been on a bike. the last one was a 85 yamaha xt 550.

Greetings

First off- Tires,Tires,Tires, if your going to go offroad at all, the stock Trailwings(deathwings) suck

offroad!!!!I run Dunlop D606's and they work great offroad , and handle decent on the road too...

I run the Race-tech front springs in .46,and I have the Eibach 8.1 rear spring which requires the use of the Koubalink adaptor. These have made a BIG improvement over the stock set-up...(I weigh about 240lbs.)

A Dynojet kit and open up the top of the airbox will make a noticable improvement in the power department..I

run a 160dj main and have the clip on the 3rd notch from the top on the needle.

You can see the Dynajet kit, airbox mod., and the Koubalink on Kintech . com... Jesse Kientz has all of these parts and can help you with any info you need.....

You can check out the Yahoo DR650 group there's tons of great info on there...

Skid plate ,handguards, and a good set tire's,( oh and a 14 tooth front sprocket helps also)and you should be good to go in the dirt or on the road . This is the most fun bike I've owned!!I'm sure you'll enjoy yours

Ride safe

Later

Dave

I must say that the Yahoo site will give you some good info, and you can post pics of your new machine. Progressive makes shocks for our bikes, and I believe they have fork mods and springs too. The 606 aren't the best street tires, but they aren't too bad. Just have to space yourself in tight traffic as stopping distances are lengthened when you expect too much grab from those little contact patches. I have Galfer brake lines and the back locks up a bit easier than it used to with the trailwings. If you are going 50/50, I might suggest a tire with more contact area for the road.

Here's Jesse's site www.kientech.com

A Supertrapp along with the Dynojet kit really livened up my 650

I'm still running the Deathwings on mine, I can't see replacing them until I wear 'em out. Offroad I drop the air pressure down to 10-12lbs, and they'll hook up alot better

Im running Pirelli MT-21 tires and they work well offroad and OK on road. The 14 tooth front sprocket is a must offroad it slows the bike alittle. I have a dynojet and K&N and one # hotter spark plug. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get some miles under my belt again. Being new to this site and bikes in general again, are there any preferred vendors for the suspension components and other mods? I belong to a few performace diesel boards and the members are great about recommending vendors and such.

How many miles do these engines require to be considered broken in?

Gotta run, I'll post back later.

Jeff

racetech.com and progressive springs are the two major players, as well as eibach springs. You'll want to go with the kouba links ONLY if you use a straight-rate spring (like eibach's 8.1) If you go with a progressive rate spring (like a 6.96 etc), then you don't want the kouba links b/c they defeat the purpose of the progressive rate spring. Racetech valves and stiffer springs in the fork would help, or you could just get some forks off ebay from an RM/RMX and swap them out like people do for their 350's (although don't know if folks do fork swaps for the 650?)

I'm still running the Deathwings on mine, I can't see replacing them until I wear 'em out. Offroad I drop the air pressure down to 10-12lbs, and they'll hook up alot better

I'm the second owner of my '96 DR650SE. The first changed tires immediately and passed on a set of unused Deathwings. Like you, I can't see replacing them until they're done. The bike did chuck me once (first serious offroad trip after buying it), when I hit a submerged rock in a long water crossing. I had the tires at the recommended front 22, rear 25 psi street inflation.

After my inadvertent mud bath, I drop the tires to 15 psi when offroad, but I've been afraid to go any lower in case of tire/tube spin. Do you folks use rim locks? If so, what kind (brand), where did you buy them and how much did you pay? Are there any tricks for installing them?

And what about good tubes for the DR650? I've read good things about Monster tubes, but they are a bit pricey (although better than a flat in the boonies I suppose...)

Finally, since I haven't been "into" the tires yet, what kind and how many tire irons are necessary to do the job with minimum hassle? TIA.

Cheers,

Phil

Check out www.thumper-racing.net they are afordable,set the bike up according to the individual rider and they don't treat the heavier 650 like a joke. Front and rear suspension mod costs $455.00. :cry:

Mike.

I havent been able to find a heavy duty 17" tube here in Australia. So I've been thinking about using an 18" tube Has any one done this? Ive also thought that I wouldnt drop the pressure below 15psi for fear of pinch flats or bending the rims. You could go a bit lower if you were only riding on the beach.

Two tire leavers are needed, I made myself a set of alloy leavers the other day, after getting a flat on the trail :cry: and having to borrow someones.

I havent got rimlocks and was suprised that Suzuki didn't supply 'em. But I havent seen any evidence of tyre rotation and Ive just worn ot my 3rd rear tyre this year.

Well, i put about nine hours a day on the ride this weekend. It was a fun time, but serious numb-butt. How are the aftermarket seats? Corbin? Saddleman? Any other feedback. Also, I would like to upgrade the suspension. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the Eibach straight-rate spring (8.1) versus the progressive rate springs? Or is it worth it to do the complete front and rear upgrade through Thumper racing? The front definitely seems under-sprung. What mods does Thumper racing do to the forks and shocks? Is it something I can do myself? I work on/build Hi-po diesel trucks, so I am mechanically inclines, but I do realize that there are some things best left to the experienced. I realize some of these questions are probably very trivial, but I have not been in the bike areana for many years. Thanks for reading...

I gave thumper a call awhile back and they said that after they take in account your age,weight,height,ability,intended use they custom taylor the suspension for you. This to the best of my understanding is done by swapping to the proper spring rate,swapping in new valves altering the shim stack and even setting the sag and dampening so all you have to do is bolt up and ride. Seals,oil,and all the normal tid bits that go with a rebuild are also included.

I'm going this route instead of doing it myself and guessing that I did it right. I've seen DR's that had this work done and the results were impressive.

In that I'm in the new house now and actually have room to work on my bike I'm going to do it this winter!

Oh and yeh the front suspension is way so soft in its stock form. I've come close to going over the bars after hitting a series of heavy whoops. And it will tire you out fighting to keep control.

Mike :cry: