3x3 mod help!!!!!! Burned?

I talket to jessie at kientech and he recommended getting rid of the screen. He said it does slow down the air more than people realize. Many people leave it in. I had to jet my bike one size larger than burneds recommendation due to running a little lean. A friend had the same thing. Was it the area, the bikes or the screen, who knowes. Look up burneds facts and he states that his recommendations are for sea level and a good place to START. It is dead on for many people, but others have to play with it a little. Get the extended fuel screw from kientech.com or make your own. The fuel screw will probably need a little adjustment after you are all together and it makes it a lot easier. Please don't ask how I know this ?

It is located under the air filter, between the airbox and the carb intake. I am still on the fence on this mod. I think I will leave it and see how I like the mod with the screen for a while and then try it without it. If it is not a big difference, I will post my results.

i know i have no idea what im talking about,but i never remove them.

Burned, you should give yourself more credit, I have been reading your posts and I think you are begining to know your way around the DRZ's.

?:devil:

Thanks again for the jetting help. It runs soooo much better.

I am sure that removing the screen can have it's positive effects...but it also has negatives.

It is common practice for instance to remove the screen from the Mass Air meter on a 3rd generation mustang. The dyno shows a minimal improvement in doing so. The cost is that the screen is the last ditch to keep leaves and rocks that might make it past a blown out air cleaner from entering the engine. Since the performance driven mustang rarely sees anything but clean asphalt we will tend to do this mod.

A dirt going motorcycle is a entirely different situation. I suggest you leave it in. It would not gain you much anyhow.

First off, Burned knows all so I am leaving it. But for arguments sake, my CRF450 did not have one in it and had the same type of air filter in it. I just was thinking it was a D.O.T. thing for backfiring, etc. It is a pretty large screen that looks relatively dense. But I guess if I want to go as fast as the CRF I gotta either get another one or mod the heck out of the DRZ. (Big bore kit etc.)