Sign in to follow this  

crf 450 street build help

Hi i am working on getting my 2002 crf450 street legal and would like your input on some things i am not sure of

I got my wheels from east coast wheels

i have yet to decide on brakes/rotor/caliper/master

probably go with a baja design stator

11oz flywheel? not sure on which one

trail tech speedo

like the arcerbis headlight

not sure on taillight/indicators

not sure on tires

lowering it? i know its easy couple bolts

have kickstand

aftermarket oil tank?

any help and advice would be appreciated

my overall goal is to keep a real minimalist look to the bike

Not going to get into the engine/suspension until next year

get in touch with chrome crf on this forum he will be able to tell you all you need to know. :thumbsup:

Ahh where do I start :thumbsup:. First of all if you want to make it street legal you need to get the lighting situation squared away. I went with an Electrex Dakar dual-sport kit and L-95 stator. For the flywheel I used a Trailtech 11oz unit that also boosts the light output. As far as brakes, its really up to you. I went with the Braking wave rotor setup. You also really need the auxilary oil tank and wide ratio tranny from Baja Designs if you are going to be doing any riding above 70mph. The suspension is probably ok for now but ultimately you will need to lower and revalve it. I had mine lowered and stiffened up and it made a big difference. Tires are also up to you but you will have to use a 150 rear to avoid chain rub. I am using Metzeler Sportec M1's which have held up great so far. That's all I can think of for now but if you have any more questions just let me know :devil:

I just want to point out that a heavier flywheel weight doesn't mean it makes any more power. what you need out of it is the magnets, not the weight. i went with a 5oz weight, since all the weights have the same stronger magnets in them, and i wanted all the power delivery characteristics of a lighter flywheel than a heavier one.

I'm almost there on mine. I've got everything together except the wiring. I just need to figure out what gauge of wire to use for all this chaos. I'm building everything from scratch, including LED turnsignals, so its a bit of an uphill battle. I just need to get the flywheel/stator/aux oil cooler (all in the mail), and then i'm just going to run wires until its done. I'm that close. Well, then it just comes down to if my collarbone's ready, but that's healing up pretty quick. the cheapest route to go on the brakes is the EBC kit that comes with a 320mm rotor and an spacer for your stock brake caliper so it'll fit around there.

****Make sure you get the bike registered before you start spending a ton of cash on it, or at least, make sure you have a clean paper trail of ownership directly to you. You don't need to get burned by some technicality that makes it illegal to insure.

a heavier flywheel weight doesn't mean it makes any more power.

Yes that is true. All the Trailtech flywheels offer the same amount of output but you will find that with a light flywheel the bike will surge and skip very badly while cruising at a steady rpm. I tried the 5oz and it just didn't cut it. It ran so rough that I had to swap it for a heavier unit. The 11oz I am using now is right on the edge of still being too light but now it cruises much smoother. A lot of it has to do with the jetting also but in my case it was the flywheel causing the problem. I was running a 172 main with the needle in the 4th clip with my stock motor but now I am fooling around with it again now that my motor is a 60hp monster :thumbsup:

So did you put in that baja WR tranny? What do you think of it?

I have an Ohlins lowered supermoto fork set with Emig triples and 17" supermoto wheel with 320mm and brembo if you guys ever need a spare. Not listing it for sale because I might build something myself. Just in case you or someone gets in a pinch.