Sign in to follow this  

break-in

thanx for the response.i dont know what "normal" riding is, as this is my first bike(dirt).i had a gsx 600 but it was already used and broken in when i got it.

I read an article about break in, you can ride it hard if you want to, but dont ride it up to the rev limiter all the time.

are there alot of places to ride in the sac area?i live in oakland so there aint no place to ride around here.

what is the rev limiter?and how will i know when ive reached the limit?

the power will cut out when you hit the rev limiter. it happens when you over rev your bike. the closet riding place to you is probably club moto, im in oakland also and it takes me about 40 min. the next closest is carnegie, about an hour. check out clubmoto.com for directions. There are probably about 10-15 riding places within 2 hours if you are willing to make the drive.

thanx for the info.im a new bootie in the dirt bike game, so im gonna need all the good advice i can get.so basically if i stay in a gear too long and over rev it, then it the bike will shut down?

By the way, get that new bike insured against theft for $150 in California with Progressive. This includes $100 deduct for comprehensive and liability.

Protect your investment.

i got my 05 crf last night.i was wondering how should i break it in?hard or soft?any other tips for break-in are welcome.

I think I paid $148/year to insure the CRF250R while a brand new KTM 125SX I just purchased was only $52/year. :thumbsup:

Call them at 1-800-776-4737

- DONT GET UNINSURED MOTORIST

- DON'T GET COLLISION

The minimum is LIABIIITY and add COMPREHENSIVE with $100 deduct.

man!thats alot cheaper than i thought it was gone be.good lookn out.does the insurance cover against theft?

what is the rev limiter?and how will i know when ive reached the limit?

It'll have a bouncy kind of sound when you hit the rev limiter, usually I stay in the middle to upper rpm's when I'm riding hard.

U GOT ANY ADVICE ON BREAKIN IN A NEW BIKE?

Warm it up good and run it hard. Seriousely this is the way. You need to get the rings to seat. Runing it hard gets the cylinder perssures up and forces the rings into the walls harder helping them seat. If you take it easy on your bike you will almost certanly end up with an oil burner. So run it hard but stay off the rev limiter for a while and all should be good.

And keep an eye on your oil for a while too.