Sign in to follow this  

Forum Upgrade - Will we lose post history?

Any chance previous posts will be carried forward to the new software? There is SO much valuable info in there, it would a shame to lose it all.

good question. but can someone help me out with this i got in a e-mail ?

TTer's, we're beginning to experience the limitations of our current discussion forum software, with sluggish site performance during peak usage. The issue is not the number of members we have (almost 40k) or the capabilities of our servers, but the number of concurrent users online at any given time, banging on the software. TT is one of the most active discussion forums on the net, period!

This upgrade will include a move to vBulletin , a widely used, tested and accepted discussion forum software. Many of you may already be familiar with it. While the upgrade will be sometime in the next 30-60 days, we encourage you to sign up for a free test account on the vBulletin site, so you'll be as up to speed as possible when the new forums go live.

so all we do is go to v bulletin and make a new username? what is the point of that ? im lost :devil::thumbsup:

The current database software is reaching it's limits with so many users logged on at any one time. The new database is made to handle a lot more people, so the pages will load much quicker.

You should be able to keep everything (post count, user name, etc) with the exception of your password. You may or may lose your password, which is why it was pointed out in the email to make sure your email is the same one that you signed up with, or else you may not get your account back.

And no, the previous posts will not be deleted. They will just be moved to the new database :thumbsup:

so the new database is vbulletin ? so if i go and sign up with a free test account i have to use my same username ? and then what do i do from there.

hopefully this time they will script the data migration to the new site and tt wont be down for several days.

so the new database is vbulletin ? so if i go and sign up with a free test account i have to use my same username ? and then what do i do from there.

BriAnJG054

Relax,, you have to do nothing,, nothing at all but make sure your email address in your home page is right.

The email that was sent was an offer to try out the new software,, nothing more,, go there if you want, play with the new software so when TT changes over you'll already be familiar with it.

Or do nothing, wait for the change over, and learn as ya go.

I was hoping one of the mods who actually knows might see this...

Vs PM'ing, or emailing a simple question to a MOD and ensuring you get an answer.. OK,, Good plan :thumbsup: Let me know how it works out for you :lol:

EDIT: :lol::devil: Ok, that was a fairly sarcastic answer,, having absolutely no real info :awww: SO the follow up answer is.. Yes I know,,,, but have asked the data base and software POC's the question to ensure I do not lead anyone astray. The question had not come up among the mods,, so not really a first person answer right now.. Please Stand By :D

Vs PM'ing, or emailing a simple question to a MOD and ensuring you get an answer.. OK,, Good plan :devil: Let me know how it works out for you :awww:

EDIT: :D:lol: Ok, that was a fairly sarcastic answer,, having absolutely no real info :thumbsup: SO the follow up answer is.. Yes I know,,,, but have asked the data base and software POC's the question to ensure I do not lead anyone astray. The question had not come up among the mods,, so not really a first person answer right now.. Please Stand By :lol:

Erik, I hope you didn't think I was taking a shot at you (although I did see your response to BriAnjG054, I didn't notice it was from a mod), I was really just bumping the thread. As for why I didn't PM or email someone directly, well a couple of reasons; I though someone might already know the answer, getting an answer in the General forum would benefit others who might be wondering the same thing, and lastly, I wasn't sure which of you guys would be the best one to ask.

Vs PM'ing, or emailing a simple question to a MOD and ensuring you get an answer.. OK,, Good plan :thumbsup: Let me know how it works out for you :lol:

EDIT: :D:devil: Ok, that was a fairly sarcastic answer,, having absolutely no real info :awww: SO the follow up answer is.. Yes I know,,,, but have asked the data base and software POC's the question to ensure I do not lead anyone astray. The question had not come up among the mods,, so not really a first person answer right now.. Please Stand By :D

Erik, I hope you didn't think I was taking a shot at you (although I did see your response to BriAnjG054, I didn't notice it was from a mod), I was really just bumping the thread. As for why I didn't PM or email someone directly, well a couple of reasons; I though someone might already know the answer, getting an answer in the General forum would benefit others who might be wondering the same thing, and lastly, I wasn't sure which of you guys would be the best one to ask.

No worrys :D

TT owners have asked that everybody go to the Upgrade Forum for all news. They will post everything they have to put out there :lol: