Sign in to follow this  

What do you Oregon people ride?

I'm curious what people have found to work well here, especially in the TSF.

Currently considering:

KTM 200 (probably the SX, maybe an EXC)

250 MX (not sure I can handle that much power though)

250f The blue bike is the only one that doesn't scare me with valve issues. Would get the YZF over the WR for weight. Every one I see is too loud though. I hear the RMZ/KXF models are good offroad and they are cheap new now but overheating and valve problems seem to be an issue.

XR250 and do the suspension and a few motor mods. This would probably be fun to play on but not sure if it has enough power for a 200 pound rider on big hills.

KTM 400. Too bad they are so expensive.

I had a 03 YZF250 all set up for the woods and that was a great bike. I now am the proud owner of a TE450 Husky and love that bike. Super motor and works great in the tight woods.

I am here in WA, but have heard enough about TSF and it sounds very similar to a lot of our good stuff :thumbsup:

IMO, lightweight is the way to go in the woods. I ride a ktm 200, and it and the 250Fs would be my choice of the bikes you listed. As you suggested, I would consider the race version of the 250F bikes because they have the extra power and lighter weight, but I say this because I would be interested in the more competitive bike for racing. If you are just trail riding than the electric start is super nice!

Are you planning to do some harescrambles, or just trail riding?

I might do a race or two but it's really not my focus. I do like to ride really tight stuff though and want to do the hardest hill climbing possible. I know if the bike is light I will not be as worried about not making to the top because it will be easier to turn around so I'll be more adventurous. When I have been out in the Trask area it seems that there is always some bushwacking and dragging bikes over logs so light is good there also. How is the traction on the KTM 200? Any issues on muddy roots and rocks compared to a 4 stroke?

actually, one of the main points for me on that 200 is it does awesome on slippery roots and rocks. it takes getting use to if you are coming off a 4-stroke, but the lightweight lets it float over roots and rocks with ease and I rarely get hung up like I use to on my other bike (DRZ400). the bike doesn't quite tractor like a 4-stroke, but for a small-bore 2-stroke it does awesome and I installed an auto-clutch on it which works wonders for getting more traction down.

I like your thinking on lightweight for being more "adventurous". thats another reason why I like the 200 (and any lightweight bike).

I ride a modified XR400 in the TSF and have yet to have a problem with anything there. It is a tank compared to some of the newer bikes, but it suits me well.

The TSF is about the only place i ride and if i was a smaller and lighter guy i would have a ktm 200exc/250exc , yz/wr250 or a crf/crfx250. But i am a rather large fellow and need the power of my moded crf450. It serves me very well and i wish i had electric start only about once every other trip up there! truthfully sometimes in the tight stuff the 450 is a bit to much and i know i could go faster on a smaller bike, but other times the power saves me! It's just my riding style, i am the type to come up to an obsticle and use power to clear it instead of using finesse.

the weight of my 450 does not bother me but if i where to buy a new bike it might be a ktm300exc ( 225 pounds ready to ride/no fuel). :thumbsup:

If your an averaged sized guy or just a bit smaller the ktm200exc is supposed to be the best thing going!

:devil:

I ride a XR650R Motard...

With the 17"wheels it works really well on the street and on dirt roads...

Wish there was more bikes like mine to ride with...

Mostly Harley types around here... :thumbsup:

Alex...